• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

anyone please advise

les127

Lurker
Aug 4, 2013
just got a new samsung galaxys4,first ever android phone and very pleased with it.:D.can someone tell me how i download some books for reading on hols,to store on my phone.do i need a book app to store them in like iphone.if i download a kindle pack will that work on my phone ,thanks in advance guys

Hi les127, and welcome to AF (and Android!) :)

If you want to use Amazon's bookstore just download the Kindle app. That will let you download and read Kindle books (and, I believe, synch with any other Kindle devices you may have).

Otherwise, there are many other eBook reader apps in the Play Store. The phone probably comes with Google Play Books, but I personally use Moon+ reader. Books can be downloaded through the apps, or you can download them to a folder on your phone's storage card and then import them to your preferred reader (I've done this with project Gutenberg books, for example).

It's typical of Android that there are many choices! :)

The usual caveats about DRM from different book stores apply, e.g. unless you do a little work to strip DRM and convert file formats, Kindle books will not be readable using other book readers. But that's typical of eBooks anywhere. I don't know about the compatibility of Google Play books with other readers because I've never used it.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
You can download other readers besides Kindle. The main extension for books is usually EPUB. There are plenty of other sites to buy and browse books from besides Amazon and B&N. If you want older classical books, there is Project Gutenberg, new books in Creative Commons in all fields. There's a site called Obooko and quite a few others.

The built in reader should handle EPUB. You might have to get another reader for PDF if your main reader doesn't support it.

The National Parks use PDF to put out their guides and road logs. Those are nice to have on a trip. You enjoy the park more.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones