• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Anyone root the Samsung Exhibit II 4g T679

Thank you very much.

Followed the instructions in the OP. Worked great. Now my phone is rooted. Removed bunch of t-mo installed apps including TetheringManager. Now I can HotSpot. I use Quick Settings app to easily change settings ad turn on Hotspot for tethering.

Removed tons of apps. Moved several to SD. Now I have 203MB of RAM free :)
Phone is super fast, almost too fast now: LOL

Upvote 0
I can't toss you all enough superlatives! Worked like a freakin' charm and my 3 week old Exhibit is now the phone I thought it'd be when I bought it. I'm a total noob to both Android OS and rooting, but the instructions here and this forum in general made this a piece o' cake.

I've been an iOS fanboi for years, but decided I ought to try this Android thing out. Bought the no-contract Exhibit and was immediately and immensely disappointed. But now that, with your assistance, the thing's hummin', I think I'm a convert.

Thank you all again!

Upvote 0
Now how do we get root with the new Superuser and SU binary? After I rooted my phone with this method, I updated my Superuser and it notifies me that my SU binary is outdated but when I went to update it, it says "Checking md5sum...fail"
So how do we fix that?
I have try booting into recovery to force flash the new SU binary but it returns with "Failed to verify whole-file signature"

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Even before rooting my Exhibit II yesterday (thanks to this thread!) I was able to use the Wi-Fi hotspot feature by going to Settings > Wireless and network > Tethering and portable hotspot > Portable Wi-Fi hotspot settings and turning it on. With it on, I was able to connect my laptop to the Wi-Fi hotspot without any issues. I never got any T-Mobile website or anything and was able to use the internet without restrictions. I was reading some people were having issues with this. Am I missing something. I am on the Walmart Family Mobile (though T-Mobile).

Upvote 0
:thinking:I am at my witts end:eek:I have a Samsung Exhibit II, I followed the instructions on here downloading, unzipping, etc the drivers, I connected the phone, it said the drivers were successfully installed, but I can't find where the phone is connected to the PC, even when I try to sync songs it says I have to install a driver, so it's not reading that the phone is connected ...any help would be appreciated :)

Upvote 0
it won't work for me :-( it says all is installed but the computer won't show me the phone that's connected via usb?

I had zero issues rooting about a week after the phone was released and I bought it the first week of Nov, 2011. I installed the USB driver for the Exhibit 4G (Not the Exhibit II 4G! Last time I checked they didn't even have any on the Samsung website). And the USB drivers for the Exhibit 4G work just as good. So if your phone isn't being detected, first make sure you did the obvious. Enabling USB debugging and allowing alternate sources in the settings. Also make SURE you don't select the option to mount the USB storage!!! You don't want to enable that when rooting.

Also disable any password or PIN lock on your phone before rooting, and disable your screen timeout (or set it as high as possible).

If you do that and plug in your phone then you should be ready. Honestly I don't think that I even got any kind of prompt or notification that the phone was connected except the first time when it installed drivers when I connected it. After you do that once, if you unplug it, and plug it back in, I don't think you'll see anything popup on Windows unless you click to mount USB storage on the phone and you don't want to do that anyway.

Anyway, then I did the Zerg root batch file and it rooted, but it was way eary in the game and it didn't load the current SUbinary and if I tried to update it afterwards it would just say MD5 SUM failure.

But the basic root capability worked, and then SuperOneClick was updated to support the Exhibit II 4G, so I ran the cleaning utility batch file which undid the root and removed any remnants.

Then I rebooted, connected and ran SuperOneClick and it was flawless. I just clicked Root, and waited as it did it's thing, watching the phone's screen as it was going through the process as there were a few times when I got a prompt on the phone where I had to just click OK to whatever it asked on the phone itself until it said finished, but it's not finished yet! Then SuperOneClick asked if I wanted to install BusyBox, which of course you do, so I clicked yes, and it instaled Busybox and once it completed everything was perfect. The SUbinary was the latest and it all matched up and it's worked great.

No one should need to go looking for USB drivers anymore though. Just recently SuperOneClick added driver support and included the necessary USB drivers in the installer.

So if you're stuck, try removing any software for your device and any drivers you loaded and reboot so there's nothing installed regarding your device. Then install SuperOneClick from shortfuse DOT org and reboot. Then plug in your phone with USB debugging on and settings mentioned above, do NOT mount the phone as a disk and try running superoneclick again and see if you get any progress. As I mentioned, it worked for me the first time, and I was using the version right befor the driver support was re-added (it was there long ago but had been removed).

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Folks - I had the same issue after rooting the phone using Zerg. The SU binary would not update (md5sum fail). The reason for this is Zerg does not install a complete version of Busybox. To fix this, go to the android market place, install busybox installer (by Stericson). After it is downloaded, open up the app and install it....during the install it will prompt you with a question on "where to install it"..default showin is /system/xbin/ ...you will want to change this to system/bin/ in the drop-down menu. After installation, the SU binary will update correctly.

Upvote 0
Even before rooting my Exhibit II yesterday (thanks to this thread!) I was able to use the Wi-Fi hotspot feature by going to Settings > Wireless and network > Tethering and portable hotspot > Portable Wi-Fi hotspot settings and turning it on. With it on, I was able to connect my laptop to the Wi-Fi hotspot without any issues. I never got any T-Mobile website or anything and was able to use the internet without restrictions. I was reading some people were having issues with this. Am I missing something. I am on the Walmart Family Mobile (though T-Mobile).

Tethering won't work for prepaid $30 5GB data,100 min talk plan unless you root. You are on a different plan.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I'm new to rooting too, and I have a question: when I try to install the USB drivers from Samsung's website, I get this error:

SAMSUNG Android USB Modem Software was not installed successfully (16) There is a driver installed for the device, please uninstall it first.

Does that mean I can skip that step? Or should I try to re install the USB drivers? Because when I try to do that I get an error as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones