• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

anyone seem to change keyboards a lot?

Jeffruby

Android Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2009
Its aweful. I can't get settled in. I keep changing my keyboard from stock, to swype, to swiftkey and now back to droidx latest version. Hate to say it but as of know I'm digging droid x, until I go back to stock in a few more days lol.its just amazing that i can't make up my keyboard mind. Swype was the bomb, until I make just one mistake. Kills me.

I've actually paid fir swiftkey. While I did like it, I had to dump it after I realized a few things. Sometimes you type word correctly, hit space and then the word changes to something else. So annoying. Then when you hit backspace, you have to earase whole word as doesn't revert to your prior word.

Upvote 0
I've actually paid fir swiftkey. While I did like it, I had to dump it after I realized a few things. Sometimes you type word correctly, hit space and then the word changes to something else. So annoying. Then when you hit backspace, you have to earase whole word as doesn't revert to your prior word.

You can change that in the settings.

Menu> Language & Keyboard> SwiftKey Settings> Input Settings> AutoComplete and AutoAccept.

Check it out :)

I've tried all the ones available I think! I use Swiftkey as my main keyboard... after using it for a while the word prediction gets scary good. However, I like the Droid2 keyboard a lot. It is more accurate imo than Swift and the voice recognition is faster and better as well. In the end though Swiftkey gets the most usage

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I agree and I HAVE looked at the deep settings...but when you turn off option to make space bar change word, you are taking off some level of autocorrect as well....ie: if you typ the word THE as "thr" it wont correct!

in a nutshell, i think swiftkey is GREAT because of the layout and prediction....but i wish there was an option to make the space bar auto - correct...NOT auto predict. big difference there

Upvote 0
I started out with Shapewriter when I couldn't get a Swype beta. Then I got the Swype beta and tried to like it but just couldn't adjust after using ShapeWriter.

Then I paid for SlideIt but couldn't accept some of its quirks.

I now use Ultra Keyboard but I wish it predicted better. I really loved Shapewriter but since they were bought out and pulled from the market there aren't any updates to it which I think it needs to compete with the other swiping keyboards. Shapewriter had the best prediction of all the swiping keyboards that I have used.

I'm waiting for that BlindType keyboard to come out but I have a feeling that I can't get away from the swiping keyboards.

Upvote 0
As stoopit as this sounds, I've just installed the swift Key keyboard and although I like the layout and functionality of it I liked the carriage return button on the droid keyboard and can't seem to see how to do it using swift key.

RTFM I guess : ) The carriage return is only available when sending email and replaced by a smiley face when in sms mode

Upvote 0
I agree and I HAVE looked at the deep settings...but when you turn off option to make space bar change word, you are taking off some level of autocorrect as well....ie: if you typ the word THE as "thr" it wont correct!

in a nutshell, i think swiftkey is GREAT because of the layout and prediction....but i wish there was an option to make the space bar auto - correct...NOT auto predict. big difference there

Dude, just hit the microphone key on SwiftKey then speak your sentence. It's unbelievably accurate and it gives you 3 versions of your sentence to choose from, you just tap the right one & your done

Upvote 0
I love swype personally, but it KILLS me having to hit the clear/return button a few times. I'm fastest on it still by far, but man is that annoying.

I think I've tried most of them, but don't even think that I will be giving 8pen a whirl. IDK, I just wish swype were more polished, or with the option to get rid of the "the word you have chosen was hidden..." screen...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones