anyone seem to change keyboards a lot?General

Last Updated:

1. Jeffruby

Jeffruby Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Its aweful. I can't get settled in. I keep changing my keyboard from stock, to swype, to swiftkey and now back to droidx latest version. Hate to say it but as of know I'm digging droid x, until I go back to stock in a few more days lol.its just amazing that i can't make up my keyboard mind. Swype was the bomb, until I make just one mistake. Kills me.

Advertisement
  2. SeattleYanksFan

SeattleYanksFan Well-Known Member

I've used them all. I have found SwiftKey to be the fastest with the best accuracy, so outside of 10 mins of trying the DX keyboard and hating that you can't long-press, I stick with SwiftKey.

3. Jeffruby

I've actually paid fir swiftkey. While I did like it, I had to dump it after I realized a few things. Sometimes you type word correctly, hit space and then the word changes to something else. So annoying. Then when you hit backspace, you have to earase whole word as doesn't revert to your prior word.

4. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

You can change that in the settings.

Menu> Language & Keyboard> SwiftKey Settings> Input Settings> AutoComplete and AutoAccept.

Check it out :)

I've tried all the ones available I think! I use Swiftkey as my main keyboard... after using it for a while the word prediction gets scary good. However, I like the Droid2 keyboard a lot. It is more accurate imo than Swift and the voice recognition is faster and better as well. In the end though Swiftkey gets the most usage

5. chrisjz

chrisjz Well-Known Member

6. baciv

baciv Active Member

Swiftkey for me, but as discussed you need to dig into the settings to make it yours. I'm most impressed by how quickly it learns how I speak (type) and after a week it easily takes a third out of my texting time, occasionally predicting nearly entire sentences.
    I must repeat myself a lot.

7. Jeffruby

I agree and I HAVE looked at the deep settings...but when you turn off option to make space bar change word, you are taking off some level of autocorrect as well....ie: if you typ the word THE as "thr" it wont correct!

in a nutshell, i think swiftkey is GREAT because of the layout and prediction....but i wish there was an option to make the space bar auto - correct...NOT auto predict. big difference there

8. jbuck1984

jbuck1984 Well-Known Member

I tried them all, right now I like swiftkey the best. I couldn't stand swiftkey for the longest time but I realized it wasn't swiftkey I was having problems with, it was handcent. Switched to chomp and now they play nice together.

9. golfinglenn

golfinglenn Well-Known Member

I was also a swiftkey fan, but have been working on Ultra Keyboard lately. It does the auto predict as well as a swype feature that is pretty good. Plus it has lots of themed keyboards (sports teams, etc). So my keyboard is Oregon Ducks.

10. NoRegrets78

NoRegrets78 Well-Known Member

Tried them all pretty much and loving the DX.

11. Angels Punishment

Angels Punishment Well-Known Member

Where do you get your themes?

12. finalride

finalride Member

I was really liking Swype until the Froyo update and it keeps screwing up. So I tried Shapewriter and wasn't thrilled so finally tried SlideIT and have not turned back it just seems to work for me and work well. Especially for a FREE app. My 2 cents.

13. SeattleYanksFan

SeattleYanksFan Well-Known Member

Um, SlideIT is like ~$8.50.

14. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

I've been switching between stock, Swype, and HTC_IME mod. I always wind up going back to stock since that's what I'm most comfortable and fastest with.

15. golfinglenn

golfinglenn Well-Known Member

In Ultra, long press the ? key, and then it has a themes section, at the bottom of that is download and will take you to all the themes on the market.

Angels Punishment likes this.
  16. finalride

finalride Member

17. gadzooks64

gadzooks64 Well-Known Member

I started out with Shapewriter when I couldn't get a Swype beta. Then I got the Swype beta and tried to like it but just couldn't adjust after using ShapeWriter.

Then I paid for SlideIt but couldn't accept some of its quirks.

I now use Ultra Keyboard but I wish it predicted better. I really loved Shapewriter but since they were bought out and pulled from the market there aren't any updates to it which I think it needs to compete with the other swiping keyboards. Shapewriter had the best prediction of all the swiping keyboards that I have used.

I'm waiting for that BlindType keyboard to come out but I have a feeling that I can't get away from the swiping keyboards.

18. otterbob

otterbob Well-Known Member

NOt to hIjack this thread but is there a compact qwerty keyboard style for Droid 2 I love it on my inc and would think my gf would like it on here d2 but its not a stock option.

19. DevHead

DevHead Well-Known Member

Swype is it for me.

20. dgshaffer

dgshaffer Member

As stoopit as this sounds, I've just installed the swift Key keyboard and although I like the layout and functionality of it I liked the carriage return button on the droid keyboard and can't seem to see how to do it using swift key.

RTFM I guess : ) The carriage return is only available when sending email and replaced by a smiley face when in sms mode

21. Joe Eris

Joe Eris Well-Known Member

Dude, just hit the microphone key on SwiftKey then speak your sentence. It's unbelievably accurate and it gives you 3 versions of your sentence to choose from, you just tap the right one & your done

22. Jeffruby

I wish I could use mic, but I talk like a truck driver, my slang doesn't translate

23. hover

hover Member

I love swype personally, but it KILLS me having to hit the clear/return button a few times. I'm fastest on it still by far, but man is that annoying.

I think I've tried most of them, but don't even think that I will be giving 8pen a whirl. IDK, I just wish swype were more polished, or with the option to get rid of the "the word you have chosen was hidden..." screen...

24. Jeffruby

Agree, that whole screen warning on swype plus the or, out, our issues annoyed me, despite loving it otherwise. Still on froyo friendly multitouch

25. jayochs

jayochs Well-Known Member

hmm i guess im the only one who uses Better Keyboard..? haha it's all i use, i hate the stock htc keyboard, and the stock android and droid x keys dont have the thing where you hold down the key to get like, exclamation point or question mark...thats annoying, so i don't like them