Anyone seen a car dock?Tips

1. largeprint48

largeprint48 Active Member

UPDATE: Google Android Engineer Dan Morrill took to reddit to explain that yes, ICS does have USB Mass Storage Support, but the Galaxy Nexus does not, since it does not have a removable storage card. While this explanation is helpful, it still doesn’t solve the issue where users may want to retrieve/store non-media files off of their device (ie: saved log files from apps, downloaded files, etc..). Via reddit.
    bytheriver likes this.
  2. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

I got the Samsung car dock in today, and the one for the infuse, and can confirm it fits perfectly. Haven't had a chance to put it in my car yet but it does fit and it is powered. Only cost me $15 too.
  3. serpa4

serpa4 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll have one ordered by this evening.
  4. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

Huh? Are you saying that if I have android with ICS and I plug it into my pc it won't see the sd card as a drive?

If true, that would be a deal killer for me to. I use my android to move music to and from my pc through the usb cable.

I'm pretty sure you can't be right about that or I've simply misunderstood your statement.
  5. Reginald VelJohnson

Reginald VelJohnson Well-Known Member

I have to admit I haven't really been paying much attention to the Android scene for the last year or so and didn't know about it until I started reading this forum again. It's not so much that it doesn't work that way, it's just that they've gimped it. Check out these few good posts from the Verizon preorder thread:

6. Tommydaniel

Tommydaniel Well-Known Member

7. kayst

kayst Well-Known Member

I had to mount my Incredible in the A/C vent and blow cold air at it to keep it from overheating while charging and using the GPS. None of these SG3 mounts see to be vent mounts - anyone know if this phone has the heat/charging while using GPS problem that the Incredible does?
  8. svensett

svensett Well-Known Member

Just ordered one of these from amazon. I was a little skeptical that it would work on most surfaces, but watch the vid on their site. Looks like a similar suction system to the one on my ag gps that stayed put on a curved window holding a lot more weight than a phone.
  9. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

Very apple of them? Not even apple has crippled USB mass storage mode. I can transfer files to and from my ipad and touch over usb and it works just fine.

I've done enough research after reading this thread to know that it still works fine but you have to enable it differently than before otherwise it will only recognize certain media files.
  10. Reginald VelJohnson

Can anybody tell me how the swivel part on the Infuse mount is made? Is it a ball and nut like the Motorola mounts? Can you take it apart and use another ball mount? I already have a Panavise custom mount in my car with a 17 mm ball mounted to it.
  11. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

thats what it looks like, dont know the size. paid for a 'bulk' packaged one so save as much money as i could
  12. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

For those of you going the Infuse car dock route, someone at XDA said they found one half price at an AT&T store. They are half price ($17.99) on the website too: AT&T Infuse 4G car dock
    Cochice likes this.
  13. wburbage

wburbage Active Member

Awesome to hear the Infuse mount will work. I have the Epic 4G Touch for Sprint and picked up the Infuse car dock and deck dock for something like $17.50 from the AT&T store. So for kicks you might want to see what they price out as a bundle as opposed to individual. I did this a while ago but it's worth a shot if your picking one of them up anyway.
  14. serpa4

serpa4 Well-Known Member

Thanks, ordered for $19 and change shipped. If I don't like it, it can go back to an ATT store.
    mac1679 likes this.
  15. question729

question729 Well-Known Member

I checked out some vids on YouTube. I'm leaning towards one of the Arkons. Can't decide between the low profile and the flexible one, though. Having it mounted on the dash would be great for putting a windshield sunshade up without having to take the mount off all the time.
  16. TobesEtc

TobesEtc Well-Known Member

Anyone know what the Infuse was called in Europe? I'd like the dock but the US sites won't allow non-US customers to order it. :-(
  17. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

According to Wikipedia it was only a US/Canada release. You might try Amazon and eBay if you have access to them.
  18. Dirtball

Dirtball Active Member

You can find it on ebay here.

The seller ships internationally and to the UK it works out at about
  19. NorthernNoel

NorthernNoel Well-Known Member

20. TobesEtc

TobesEtc Well-Known Member

21. Reginald VelJohnson

awesome, thanks for the pics. Looks like I can make that work.
  22. s3user

s3user Active Member

you can use it as a mass storage, you just have to use the USB cable that came in the S3 box.

I found out that you can't use any other USB cable, it won't do the transfer.
  23. Eryl Flynn

Eryl Flynn Well-Known Member

Any idea what the difference in the cable is? Be nice to get a few with our being overcharged by Samsung.
  24. akita

akita Well-Known Member

I have an Arkon mount for my Droid X. Im pretty sure this phone will fit it(i put my co-workers Galaxy Nexus in it and it fit and the S3 is comparable in size to the Nexus)
  25. Dirtball

Dirtball Active Member

Apologies for the link. Try here.

Sorry about your hand by the way!
    TobesEtc likes this.