Anyone seen Pontypool

Last Updated:

1. Snedd

Snedd Well-Known Member

This is a really clever and original zombie movie, but doesn't seem to be that well known. Anyone else here seen it? What did you think?

2. Rooferkev

Rooferkev Well-Known Member

Yea saw it on the Horror channel (UK) its a very good low key zombie (?) film, very clever idea and some good acting, the DJ especially

UrsusVIIILXXXVII Well-Known Member

I watched it a couple weeks ago. I agree it was a very unique approach to traditional zombie flicks. The radio show call-in concept was done well. It added the creepiness of knowing something bad is going on outside but you don't actually see it. Reminiscent of the War of the World radio broadcast. Speaking of which, I read that before the movie there was an actual radio production of the story based on the book Pontypool Changes Everything.

So, what was your take on that last scene after the credits?
  4. Snedd

Snedd Well-Known Member

I agree, the drip feed of information into the radio show was very effective at building the tension and creepiness. The script and acting are excellent, I really want to listen to Grant Mazzy on my radio! I liked the doctor character as well - the crazy scientist type who pops up from nowhere and explains what's going on, 50's B movie style, very funny. There's a lot of clever humour throughout the film, for example the Canadian French vs English language thing that becomes a key plot device.

When I saw the film I didn't know it was a based on a book. To me the central idea reminded me of Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash. I found out afterwards that there's a copy of Snow Crash lying around in the movie somewhere, although I didn't notice it. Its about a year since I watched it and its just started nagging at the back of my mind that I really want to see it again.

That post credit scene! - well I'm finding it difficult to discuss without venturing into spoiler territory, but if language helps to shape reality then maybe they found a way to shape their own reality just how they want it. And it was very cool!

UrsusVIIILXXXVII Well-Known Member

My take was that if the audience was "infected" perhaps that scene was to be the "antidote" for the audience.

Either way, props to the filmmakers for taking a common zombie concept and spinning it into something fresh. While this film may not be for everyone, credit should at least be given for originality.