Anyone switch over from the Nexus One or a 9700?

Last Updated:

1. lmyamen

lmyamen Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, i am a android lover through and through. I've had a G1, Cliq, and a Nexus One. I recently had to sell my Nexus to free up some quick cash for a lens i needed for my photography business i am working on. So i picked up a 9700 as a "Get me by" phone. Its been 4 weeks and i miss android BAD. I dont think i can live with out a touch screen phone.

I am considering picking up a Vibrant, but everyones reviews on here scare me. Is it just because we are in a forum and people typically only post the problems they have with the phone and it just makes things look like a bigger issue than they really are?

Will i be underwhelmed coming to the vibrant after having a past experiance with the Nexus? Or are there actually people on here loving there vibrant and not having lag/gps issues?

Advertisement
  2. wildblue

wildblue Well-Known Member

It would be very interesting to see an accurate poll of user experience with this phone. Clearly forums draw a disproportionate number of folks with issues, which is true of all technology, and can't really be used to gauge the majority.

I can only speak for myself, but I've basically had no problems. I've mucked with GPS settings, but after going back to stock settings even that is working very well on my phone, at least so far. The only lag/freeze problems I've had were related to a non-standard GPS setting I tried, which was easily fixed. Other than that self-inflicted anomaly the performance has been as good as advertised.

3. the1who

the1who Well-Known Member

Don't know how to compare the Nexus One to this, but I have had the Behold 2 and my wife currently has the Cliq.

Forums are usually where people go to spread information on tweaks, fixes, complaints, and reviews. I wouldn't let the forums get to you much. Have you watched any YouTube videos of it yet? Have you gone to a store for hands on? I don't know how much the N1 had for application storage memory, but this phone has at least in total, 2GB. I ran out of memory so fast with the Behold 2 that enjoying apps became how to I use apps I use on a regular basis. Now I have enough room to enjoy apps and keep them at my pleasure without being told I am running out of memory.

This phone compared to the others I have (have had), is definitely a notch above them if not 5. My Behold 2 seemed to take forever on boot, maybe timed it was 2-3 minutes. Timing this phone it is once you see the multi-colored S you're right around the corner, it takes about 1 minute when I timed it last. But it has speed and it has space. Tons of space for pictures, tons of space for videos.

I thought I would miss the D-pad feature, but having had this phone only since 8/6 I could care less. When knowing how to use swype and then the combo swype to get the navigation and edit keys for the cursor, I am glad I have a solid face with only a small cutout for the speaker, it is stylish to me in a since in that it seems simple.

I was leery about getting this phone to start with the problems the Behold 2 went with, but putting that aside, this phone series is across all the major networks, or will soon be for that matter. The support shall be better, though we do have our complaints about the compass and GPS issues. I wouldn't let these features nag at you too much as the phone in all of its other luster leaves you playing around with it that you might end up forgetting about it.

There will be someone who will find one thing to complain about and it will stick out for some, for others it may not be an issue. The only true shared issue we have is the GPS issues. Having run the test applications, I have come to the consensus that it is more software related preventing the phone from locking on satellites' data train. Compass, don't have a clue yet, but they are saying a fix is coming. I have a Garmin Nuvi for my absolute navigation needs. This phone can be very useful when fully functional for navigation for sure, I haven't tried it for navigation, I do acquire accuracies of 10m in some circumstances, sometimes it doesn't go below 50-70m. It will be nice for this feature to fully bloom for us to use. There are other ways of finding where you need to get without using it as a GPS if it does fail, if you only have the phone. Google maps and street view are excellent aids to help navigate, look at where you are going first to get an idea, so while driving you'll know what to look for. My GPS issues aren't an issue for me, it works, but for 6 ft accuracy I am still relying on the Nuvi.

4. Robinelli

Robinelli Well-Known Member

If you need a trackball or a notification LED then you should get the Nexus 1. If you don't care about those things then you'll probably like the Vibrant. Do a 2 week trial and return it if you don't like it.

5. krichek

krichek Well-Known Member

I had the new Droid X for 15 days before I made the switch and couldn't be happier. The notification led is about the only thing that really bugs me, but I'm managing.

Hopefully someone can write us a program similar to "no led" that works reliably soon.

6. the1who

the1who Well-Known Member

7. applepiter

applepiter New Member

I have had and know both phones, the n1 and the vibrant, and the n1 is a better phone in all ways except for the screen. But the vibrant is close, and after the update to 2.2 i think the vibrant may be equil if not better. I gave up my n1 do to Google support was horable and i would much rather deal with t-mobile. Hope this helps..

8. jkcheng122

jkcheng122 Well-Known Member

N1 isn't really better in all ways then as Support do count as a major part of a phone. Also the memory size different is a big deal. My brother is constantly running out of App storage though he's able to move some to SD now but there are some issues with them on SD like not being able to use the app's widgets.