• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone switched from Sprint to AT&T and gotten a cheaper plan?

K-Rizzle

Android Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2009
We have sprint, and got great service when we lived in NH. Well we moved to NC almost a year ago and in our neighborhood, we don't get service. We went ahead and got the airave an can now make phone calls from our house, but we don't get data there either so we're pretty much ALWAYS connected to wifi at home. So I'm paying for this ""premium data" through sprint and I'm rarely using it.

Right now my sprint bill is about $165 for 2 phones with unlimited data, messaging and mobile to mobile calling. That price is also with a discount for being a AAA member. They waive the fee for the airave monthly.

Lately we've been having trouble with the airave and people can't hear us on the other end. I'm just kind of getting fed up with it all. We have no home phone, so we rely on our cell phones.

A few of my nrighbors have said they have AT&T and it gets service in our neighborhood just fine. I looked at their website and it's a bit confusing to say the least, you can add this or that, I just want basically what I have now, unlimited messaging, mobile to mobile and we never use much data since we're always connected to wifi at home anyway.

I went through and added stuff to my cart last night just to see what my total would be and it came to $145 per month with 3G of data, and the unlimited messaging which includes unlimited mobile to any mobile. SOUNDS good, but I have no experience with AT&T wireless at all. Am I going to be surprised by hidden fees or anything?

Oh and I have NO idea any of the phones on AT&T, which ones are the good ones out of the ones that are affordable? We can't really afford crazy expensive, top of the line ones at the moment.

Motorola Atrix 2 is my phone of choice. The mobile to mobile and unlimited texting is great. Thefamily plan also comes withunlimited night/weekend minutes with rollover so you don't lose minutes. Family plan is about $70 with $10/month for each additional phone. Every smart phone has to have their own data plan, so with 2 phones add another $50/month. I thinkyour estimate should be pretty close.

Upvote 0
3 lines for sprint with insurance and no discount is like ~$210
3 lines for AT&T w/3G of data and insurance is like ~$221

When I went deeper (sprints fees were higher and my AT&T discount larger)
In the end for me AT&T was actualy a few dollars cheeper.

Also if you get a conpany discount with AT&T pay attention to what it applies to.
For example on a $30 3GB data plan my discount doesn't apply.
But it does apply to the $50 5GB data plan.

So 3GB for me is $30, 5GB for me is less than $40 (so like $8 for 2 more GB)

Upvote 0
Spring charged me $10 just in surcharges alone that AT&T does not charge. I saved $15/month over going with AT&T and wont ever look back. So don't just look at the price on the websites there are hidden variables they wont tell you about. If you ask anyone at Sprint what the taxes will be on service they will dodge that question or lie since you wont know until you are locked in the contract. Some might believe that being able to suck unlimited data through a tiny straw is worth the added cost but to each his own.

Upvote 0
I left sprint for AT&T. With sprint I had three lines and payed 180 a month. With AT&T I have 2 lines and 5 GB's on both lines and pay 170. Thus far Sprint was far superior for me. Sprint 3G in my area is faster that AT&T 4g Hspa. It took me 2 minutes to load espn in the browser today on my Note and it was the mobile version of the site with full signal. Sprint 3G was never that slow for me. Even a reboot didn't help.

AT&T did credit my entire bill today because I was gonna cancel and pay my ETF on the spot. Still gonna probably cancel and sell my Note to pay my etf.

Upvote 0
I left sprint for AT&T. With sprint I had three lines and payed 180 a month. With AT&T I have 2 lines and 5 GB's on both lines and pay 170. Thus far Sprint was far superior for me. Sprint 3G in my area is faster that AT&T 4g Hspa. It took me 2 minutes to load espn in the browser today on my Note and it was the mobile version of the site with full signal. Sprint 3G was never that slow for me. Even a reboot didn't help.

AT&T did credit my entire bill today because I was gonna cancel and pay my ETF on the spot. Still gonna probably cancel and sell my Note to pay my etf.

Kind of sucks you didn't notice it being that slow when you were in your grace period. Guess once again it comes down to your loacation as to which carrier is best.

Here with sprint I haven't seen anything over 300kbps in the past year. And most of the time its around 100kbps. While on my AT&T work phone I've never seen anything below 4Mb(even during peak hours).

Upvote 0
Sprint has been super slow for me lately even when I'm in a good coverage area.And even 4G has been a let down lately.

I had a heck of a time with them on the phone last night, they were cutting me off and being so rude. Sprint CS is nice until you try to leave them. I had issues with sprint years ago as well, when trying to leave them.

ATT 4G LTE has been super fast, but I can't take some of the things on the phone I picked so I'm trading it in for another one, which is not LTE. I'll miss that speed for sure, but the call quality of the burst sucks, even trying to record my name for my voicemail was difficult, I sound like I'm covering the speaker with my hand.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones