• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone test out its 'waterproof' capabilities yet?

Actually, I'm almost positive that the video really is of a Droid X. Underwater casing or not. If you look closely enough, every video recorded by a Droid X has a slightly reddish hue down the middle of the screen. On top of that, it really just looks like a video that would be recorded by a Droid X. - Quality-wise, anyway. The frame shakiness looks familiar, etc.
A lot of camera phones have a reddish hue.

Upvote 0
That may be so, but that's not only what I was referring to, as I said in very post that you quoted. There are other features present in the video that make me believe it is, in fact, a Droid X. There are also other videos on YouTube of people using an, "underwater," or water-proof bagging for their phone. One of them clearly shows, from a separate camera, a Droid X in a clear baggy of sorts and he pushes it under a few feet of water in a tub. It's on and recording video while he does so. You can see the screen.

Even so, the hue strongly resembles the Droid X's issue with the camera. I'm not saying that the X's camera is the only to experience white balance issues, but the video posted above shows a very similar example of its problem.

Upvote 0
Anyone have an encounter with water yet?

EDIT: I'm not saying they implied it is waterproof by any means.
Just want to see how it handles an accidental encounter with water. I fish a lot and know I will have it with me on the water. It will be in a waterproof case of some kind, but you just neven know what might happen.

I just 100% submerged my DX2 on accident while shaving. And 5 minutes later I posted this.
Not kidding!!!!!
AWESOMENESS!!!!!
NO CASE, NO NOTHING!!!
DX2 AND H20.
PLAIN AND SIMPLE

Upvote 0
+1. Had to do the rice thing for close to 2 days though.

Fell in the lake while fishing....had it in my pocket....got out, the screen wouldn't come on etc. Took it to the truck, took the battery out, and placed it on the dash board of the truck, and turned the defroster on high/heat. Got home -- did the blow dryer thing....later that day powered it up, and it had a few water spots under the screen. After a few more days....eventually all of the water spots disappeared...and I haven't had a problem since, other than my return button messing up.....I've recently filed insurance, but if it hadn't been for the button....I probably wouldn't have filed...but I the button is annoying....

Upvote 0
I dropped mine in paint when I was painting my living room. I thought it would be dead, but it didn't miss a beat. Got it cleaned off and it works fine except I can tell there is paint in the ear piece because it is really quiet.

Paint is much thicker though so it didn't get inside the phone. I still about crapped myself.

Upvote 0
I was on vacation in August but missed this thread then. I wore mine into the pool after an afternoon of phone calls to the office. It was only in for about 5 seconds before I realized my mistake, got out removed the battery and SD card. My phone was toast, and just I got a quick insurance replacement the next day. I needed my phone immediately, and didn't have time to test any rice/de-humidifier/etc. solutions. My phone had the basic Verizon case with a foldable kickstand, and unfortunately 5 seconds was enough to render it useless.

Upvote 0
Bigbadwolf, excellent observation. I was at a hotel and didn't have access to rice, a solid dehumidifier, or any other helpful implements that would have been proper to try. I immediately had my office arrange for a replacement, so when I got home the next day, I would be sure to have a functional phone. I removed my battery, SD card as soon as I realized my carelessness, and never put them back in until right before I had to send it in. My replacement phone ran smooth for two days and then I boxed up my original, but just before I closed the box, I was curious and just had to put a battery in it and see if it was functional. The screen never came up, and it was making a studdering vibration, and I could hear a faint bit of static from the ear speaker.

My opinion was I destroyed my phone in 5 seconds, but that I did save my battery and SD card due to some semi-quick thinking. The battery compartment and SD card area were dry, but the moisture indicator showed that I'd taken on water. I wish my DX had been more waterproof, like the guy who dropped his in water while shaving.

Upvote 0
Anyone have an encounter with water yet?

EDIT: I'm not saying they implied it is waterproof by any means.
Just want to see how it handles an accidental encounter with water. I fish a lot and know I will have it with me on the water. It will be in a waterproof case of some kind, but you just neven know what might happen.

It does not react well to the southern sweet tea.... i'm just sayin!!!

Upvote 0
Haunted Hallows....Thanks. Glad someone isn't a 'know-it-all'.

Just wondering how it handles water. Sorry for asking.
And no I'm not gonna put it in the pool to try to get some videos of naked chicks :)

Just wondering if anyone had an encounter with water and what happened. Hard rain? Sweaty encounter with your girlfriend?

Was pushed into a pool with my Storm and it came out fine. Just wondering how the X holds up. Sooner or later the first water encounter post is coming. Just trying to see if it's happened yet.

Again sorry to offend the easily offended and the easy-to-jump-to-conclusion ;)

If you're fishing with the X or any phone for that matter, I would reccomend keeping it in a small zip-lock bag. Besides being waterproof, if you leave a slight amount of air in the bag, it will float if it accidentally goes overboard or gets dropped in deep water.

As regards fire.... I don't recommend a firesafe, especially when fishing.... if it goes overboard while fishing it will sink like a stone.

Good luck....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones