anyone think its a good idea to power down then up once a day

Last Updated:

1. Jeffruby

Jeffruby Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Starting to think so. Unlike a bb which on/off does nothing, the Droid seems to treat the power off/on more like battery pull. When I don't power her down/up, after3-4 days I often get the low volume glitch, or some other weird behavior.

Advertisement
  2. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Well-Known Member

I think this is a good maintenance item. Its good starting fresh every know and then.

3. aileendq

aileendq Well-Known Member

I power down each night. I REEEAAAALLLY don't want to be disturbed while I'm sleeping. I know that are apps, ect to handle that, but it's easier just to power down, especially considering I don't go to bed or wake up at the same time every day.

Not sure if there are any down sides to this, though....

4. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

I power down every night. I have a landline that people will call in case of emergency.

5. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

Its probably a good idea to reboot "after installing a new app". After a week, Droid started acting like Windows '95/'98 box.

6. GDroid

GDroid Well-Known Member

I WISH I could power down my phone every night, but that would require a career change..lol.

7. jojo69

jojo69 Member

Yeah, I noticed that with mine, If i don't power it down every other week, then i have some slight glitches like an installed app not showing up or the "updating" bar being slow when doing multiple updates on different apps... very much like windows OS (and even win 7 in my case) where a good old reboot can't hurt and usually helps :D

8. taz55

taz55 Well-Known Member

I would tend to agree with posts made here, I have been rebooting every so often and it defiantly helps.

9. regulatre

regulatre Well-Known Member

So weird. I've never rebooted mine since I got it on opening day. I've downloaded tons of free apps and tried them out and I don't have any such complaints. I'm glad too because powering it down and up each day would be a nuisance.

10. colnago

Not all apps are created equal.

11. mike84

mike84 Member

Ha ha, me too unfortunatly. about rebooting the droid: I also think its a good idea. I usually reboot once a day or every other day and notice all around smoother operation just like my desktop at home.

12. Phone Guy

Phone Guy Well-Known Member

I also have noticed that if i dont reboot every few days the Droid will act a little funny.

13. GDroid

GDroid Well-Known Member

I have a problem with notifications alerts at times. I'll get an e-mail but with no audible alert. A few minutes later, the alert will kick in. When it doesn't kick in, I have to "reboot".

14. colnago

Which email app? Also, are you using the phone (i.e. screen is active) at the time? I noticed that if new mail is received while I'm using, there is no audible alert. However I used K-9 mail for POP3 accounts.

15. GDroid

GDroid Well-Known Member

I'm using Droid's built-in functionality for Exchange Active-Sync. Nope, the phone can be idle in my carrying case, and I won't receive an audible notification alert. It doesn't happen often though, so I'm not too worried.

16. Golden Falcon

Golden Falcon Active Member

The droid itself is like a small computer... a power down, or "restart" will always help it out. Memory will star from 0, and so forth.

Best time to power down is at night time or when you get up for the day :)

17. Jeffruby

Jeffruby Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Agreed! And for those who say their work doesn't allow for power down, we are talking about an on/off maneuver. Your offline less than a min

18. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member

Correct and if there are those that still think that can't power down their device then once a week is sufficient.

19. GDroid

GDroid Well-Known Member

If you are referring to my comment, I was piggy-backing off of Aileen's comment of having the phone completely shut off at night so she cannot be disturbed. I wish I could do that but I can't, as I'm on support 24/7. Of course, a shut down/turn on procedure takes only a minute. :D

20. Golden Falcon

Golden Falcon Active Member

it only takes seconds really, and very helpful at times :)

21. Mipmap

Mipmap Active Member

Yeah thats the one thing that has stopped me from getting irritated when my Droid crashes, is that it really only takes a few seconds to get me back in to the OS. My old crappy phone took forever to reboot.