• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone think it's....too big?

Ah, it seemed so great in the store. Then I took one home. After a while, it's beginning to feel too big! Feels heavy on my belt, big in my hand, my hand bumps into it while walking, and it feels like I have a large deck of cards to my ear when talking.

Did you feel this way and get over it? Or did it feel right to you from the beginning?

I talked to someone who had the EVO (same size as X, I understand) and he took it back 'cause it was just too darned big!

How 'bout you? Does size "matter" in this case?

dave

Imagine playing a FPS game. I played NOVA on the iPod Touch and the screen was just too small to navigate around in the game (virtual joystick too small, buttons too close). As you see with the Droid X I played NFS on it (Verizon store) and I had good amount of room to tap buttons, move my finger around.

Upvote 0
I had an Omnia 1 before. I went to the Sprint store and tried out the Evo demos when they were sold out. I remember thinking the EVO didn't seam THAT big. When the DROID X was released, went to the Sprint store and picked one up. (The Droid X is slightly taller, slightly narrower, and slightly thinner than the EVO) I remember that I thought my Omnia 1 was a perfect sized phone in my hand but wished the screen was bigger. The Droid X is a perfect sized screen, and is slightly larger in my hand than I might wish it to be, but I can't have it both ways.

Bottom line is I won't give up my 4.3in screen.... period. I even have the clear case on my "X" now and that doesn't bother me, size wise. I will eventually remove the clear case, not because it makes the phone to big, but because I have a desk doc and a car doc and the "X" doesn't fit in them with the clear case on it. When I do remove the clear case, I'll have a smaller phone. At least my mind will think so.

I'm extremely satisfied with my Droid X! Size and all.....

Upvote 0
Maybe on paper, but have you held an X? It feels much smaller because it is so thin and the screen is a little narrower making it easier to grip. My wife agrees.

I've ONLY held an X, never read the paper specs.

I'm not saying it's too big and I'm not saying the size would keep me from buying one if I was on Verizon.

I'm just saying it's a good bit bigger than the Evo.

Upvote 0
I've ONLY held an X, never read the paper specs.

I'm not saying it's too big and I'm not saying the size would keep me from buying one if I was on Verizon.

I'm just saying it's a good bit bigger than the Evo.

The Evo feels like a brick compared to my X. You're in for a rude awakening if you think the X is too big yet you're getting an Evo (according to your profile).

Upvote 0
I have a Evo and my boss has a X, the X definitely feels lighter in hand and a bit thinner. The Evo's back is more rounded/curved and seems to have a more natural feeling in my hand, but it's also my daily phone so I am more accustomed to the shape of it. I probably would have gotten the X but the Evo already had ROM's so that pretty much sealed the deal.

Upvote 0
I also got the feeling that the phone was too big. I love it. I love the screen, I love the speed, responsiveness. But I don't like pulling it out of my pocket, trying to use it. Or trying to use it one handed (I have kids and usually only have 1 hand free). Only problem is, there's no way I could ever go back to a smaller screen. I used my husband's Droid and couldn't type on it. Typos all over, that screen was TINY. I expect I'll have to get used to the size of the device since there's no way I'll ever be able to go back to 3.7 inches.:p

Upvote 0
I also got the feeling that the phone was too big. I love it. I love the screen, I love the speed, responsiveness. But I don't like pulling it out of my pocket, trying to use it. Or trying to use it one handed (I have kids and usually only have 1 hand free). Only problem is, there's no way I could ever go back to a smaller screen. I used my husband's Droid and couldn't type on it. Typos all over, that screen was TINY. I expect I'll have to get used to the size of the device since there's no way I'll ever be able to go back to 3.7 inches.:p

This is me to a T. Love everything about the phone, but it's tricky one-handed. And I'm like you, I have two crazy little boys, 2 and 4, so I'm lucky to have one free hand.

Upvote 0
I pocket carry it and honestly feel like it weighs less than my enV Touch. It is thinner so it feels better in my pocket as well. The only time I feel like it might be too big is when my hand goes numb from playing too much Basketball Shot. It took a bit to figure out the best way to hold it in landscape too keep my fingers from going numb(at first I was doing a death grip because no way I want to drop it).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones