• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone think it's....too big?

Can someone please post a picture of what this thing looks like against a face, I can't really gauge what a DX looks like from a hand. yea it takes up the entire hand but all hands are different sizes. I saw a video of guy giving a review on the Dell Streak, the minute he held that thing up to his head it was like he was holding a brick to his face. I'm curious how this thing looks against your face. Is it really big? I'm currently overseas and haven't had a chance to get a hands on experience yet.

Upvote 0
Ah, it seemed so great in the store. Then I took one home. After a while, it's beginning to feel too big! Feels heavy on my belt, big in my hand, my hand bumps into it while walking, and it feels like I have a large deck of cards to my ear when talking.

Did you feel this way and get over it? Or did it feel right to you from the beginning?

I talked to someone who had the EVO (same size as X, I understand) and he took it back 'cause it was just too darned big!

How 'bout you? Does size "matter" in this case?

dave

You must be short or skinny, because this phone is not that big at all.

Upvote 0
I also got the feeling that the phone was too big. I love it. I love the screen, I love the speed, responsiveness. But I don't like pulling it out of my pocket, trying to use it. Or trying to use it one handed (I have kids and usually only have 1 hand free). Only problem is, there's no way I could ever go back to a smaller screen. I used my husband's Droid and couldn't type on it. Typos all over, that screen was TINY. I expect I'll have to get used to the size of the device since there's no way I'll ever be able to go back to 3.7 inches.:p
I was just noticing your list of devices.....it appears that you're a lot like me. It seems like I'm always switching phones, too. I don't have the Droid X yet, but I'm most likely going to order it online soon. Right now there's about a two week wait, but that's okay. I'm sure it will be worth it!

Upvote 0
I carry the X and the EVO, and there are tradeoffs both ways. But the EVO is definitely a more pocketable phone due to shape differences. Like someone else said, it is also a little more natural in the hand because of the curve of the back as well.

No one is kicking the X out of bed, though!

I found the X more pocketable than the EVO since it's so slim, the EVO felt much bigger

Upvote 0
Ah, it seemed so great in the store. Then I took one home. After a while, it's beginning to feel too big! Feels heavy on my belt, big in my hand, my hand bumps into it while walking, and it feels like I have a large deck of cards to my ear when talking.

Did you feel this way and get over it? Or did it feel right to you from the beginning?

I talked to someone who had the EVO (same size as X, I understand) and he took it back 'cause it was just too darned big!

How 'bout you? Does size "matter" in this case?

dave

Maybe you need to start working out! :D

Upvote 0
can someone please post a picture of what this thing looks like against a face, i can't really gauge what a dx looks like from a hand. Yea it takes up the entire hand but all hands are different sizes. I saw a video of guy giving a review on the dell streak, the minute he held that thing up to his head it was like he was holding a brick to his face. I'm curious how this thing looks against your face. Is it really big? I'm currently overseas and haven't had a chance to get a hands on experience yet.

Man wearing DroidX.png

Upvote 0
I kind of prefer a little smaller size - the galaxy S is perfect size for me in the store and I will tell you why. I do have long fingers and long hands. I can browse the Droid X just fine but if I'm doing it with one hand and use a finger to get to a corner, I lose some accuracy at times and it's a stretch

Upvote 0
I've ONLY held an X, never read the paper specs.

I'm not saying it's too big and I'm not saying the size would keep me from buying one if I was on Verizon.

I'm just saying it's a good bit bigger than the Evo.

The Evo feels like a brick compared to my X. You're in for a rude awakening if you think the X is too big yet you're getting an Evo (according to your profile).

Someone needs to learn to read :rolleyes:

And I've had an Evo since launch day. I don't think it's too big, nor do I think a Droid X is too big. All I'm saying is the Droid X is bigger than the Evo. It's a fact. There's no need to get butt hurt.

Upvote 0
I found the X more pocketable than the EVO since it's so slim, the EVO felt much bigger

What kind of pocket?? Because I find that the curved back and lack of the hump to be far more pocketable than the the sharpish corners of the thin part of the X, and of course the hump.

Really though, between the two phones the choice is more about the carrier and the plans than the phones. Well, unless you want custom ROMs.

Upvote 0
I currently hav the dinc but my dx shld be here the 25th. I'm considering the d2 tho. I love all the functions of the dx and I knw the screen size is awesome but the overall size make me worry tht it will get annoying whn I'm carrying it around or tryin to use it one handed. So my question is does the size get annoyin for everyday use and like sticking in ur pnts pocket? Dnt get me wrng the dinc is an awesome phone and battery life cn be solved by jst keeping it charged or having an extended battery but the signal sux! I'm in a rural area.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones