• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

anyone thinking of ditching the Spectrum for an Optimus G?

this is what I was expecting for next year, although the display resolution is still a touch lower than I expected next year.

It also has the new display tech that Apple has for "possible use in the iPhone 5" that eliminates the "air gap" between the display layers.

Things I'd like to see different,
1. 4GB of Ram (not likely)
2. Jelly Bean at launch... possible as it may not make it to the US until summer, if at all.
3. I'd like a 2800 or 3200 mAh stock battery, especially as it looks like the casing is non-removable on the phone.
4. a 4MP or 5MP front camera for video calling to high res displays, even a 2.0MP looks like crap for a video call in HD. (could be the sensor quality more than the MP... although that can be overcome by using more MP)

good photo's here:
LG Optimus G: hands-on with a 4.7-inch Android 4.0 powerhouse | The Verge

better details here, including full specs:
LG Optimus G revealed: 1.5GHz quad-core CPU, ICS, LTE, 4.7-inch screen with in-cell touch -- Engadget

"LG trailer video" not much in it, I don't recall even seeing the phone...
LG Optimus G - Teaser : The Newest Premium Quad-Core Smartphone - YouTube

benchmarks from the dev model of the CPU, showing a quadrant score of 7,698 on a prerelease dev device! pretty funny video, the dev device is a tablet, but has most of the hardware slated for the Optimus G.
Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro (APQ8064) MDP benchmarks blow away the competition (update: video) -- Engadget

full spec chart from GSM arena, lists planned JB upgrade, video can use the flash, speaking of Flash, supports Adobe Flash and Java MIDP emulator, micro SD, mini sim card, dedicated noise cancelling mic.
LG Optimus G E973 - Full phone specifications

1280 x 768 display resolution gives 720p with room for playback controls without overlay.

The Japanese version will be waterproof?!?!

(for lazy people)
Android 4.0 smartphone has a quad-core Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, a 4.7-inch 1280 x 768 IPS display, LTE radios, 32GB of storage, 2GB RAM, NFC, and a 13-megapixel camera, as well as a 2,100mAh battery. LG is particularly talking up its "fully integrated touch technology" for the 8.45mm-thick phone, which the company claims allowed it to reduce the air gap between the display and the surface, as well as the size of the bezel.

Japan-specific features include waterproofing, infrared data transfer, osaifu-keitai mobile wallet, and OneSeg and Nottv mobile television services

------------------------------
Yum Yum, I'm gonna get me some!

The intuition had a smaller battery, older tech also (one of the optimus g reviews mentioned they increased the max charge cycles by 40% with the batter tech in the optimus g), the current standard screen tech (with the air pocket), uses the 40nm CPU die (I think), and is a 4:3 display,

For most likely the same subsidized price, and close to the same unsubsidized...

Upvote 0
Not I. If anything, I'll get a razr; I know and am used to motos. 4gb ram on a phone is just overkill... I have 1 on my Transformer and rarely have more than a 50% in use. More ram only matters on windows devices, not android... Ignorance of that fact is something manufacturers count on, so they can drum up more sales. What people should look into is how the transformer can be so efficient with ram, but devices like the spec aren't.

Upvote 0
LG is Korean, the entire country is cdma... the chances they make a non cdma phone doesn't look very realistic. But without a official announcement, you are probably correct...
I know LG is korean, i just said it probably wont see the United States/Or a US CDMA Carrier.... Also, lol. Just because the country is CDMA doesn't prevent them from making NON-CDMA (read GSM) phones. Nitro HD, Aloha, LG Optimus 2X..... GSM Devices...

Upvote 0
Reading online truth the rumormill that the Optimus G will come to the states as Optimus Blaze. Don't know if it's true or not. Read it on phonearena.com I think .
Yeah, it looks like it will come in Verizon on Nov. 16. Most likely I will get this phone. Verizon might as well cancel their Spectrum 2 for this phone since the Blaze/Optimus G has the best high-end spec ever made. With a s4 Pro processor combined with Ice cream os, it better not lag and make it alot smoother!

Upvote 0
The spectrum was my first and last lg phone. ..
I'm probably gonna end up with either a Samsung galaxy stellar or the one coming soon withthe keyboard. Can't remember its name. Or a HTC incredible 4g

I'm really interested in the stellar. It seems about like my fascinate. Just twice the ram. 4g front cam. And a snapdragon s4 pushing ics @1.2ghz

Upvote 0
Wait wait wait, LG screws with us. Drops support, never gives ics update, and knowingly released the spec. with defaults. AND YOU GUYS WANT TO BUY ANOTHER LG PHONE??????

Nope, not for me. I am either getting a Galaxy S3, or Droid RAZR M. On my 3rd and final replacement spec.

Never trusting LG again. I shouldn't have in the firstplace.

The RAZR M is looking pretty nice, and the specs are close to the spectrum. all with and amazing battery and the same CPU as the S3.... MMHHMMMM

Upvote 0
Wait wait wait, LG screws with us. Drops support, never gives ics update, and knowingly released the spec. with defaults. AND YOU GUYS WANT TO BUY ANOTHER LG PHONE??????

Nope, not for me. I am either getting a Galaxy S3, or Droid RAZR M. On my 3rd and final replacement spec.

The RAZR M is looking pretty nice, and the specs are close to the spectrum. all with and amazing battery and the same CPU as the S3.... MMHHMMMM
You're right. If the LG Blaze doesn't come in Jelly Bean forget it.

Upvote 0
Oh, I personally could say the same for a certain Motorola 3G and a Samsung 3G phone... But even those were fairly stable compared to what others were experiencing two years ago.

IMHO, the stock ROM is fairly decent providing you replace the Optimus U.I. with Holo Launcher or ADW Launcher EX, and the stock mail app with K9 Mail.

Upvote 0

Sooo, they could only offer me a Droid Razr... not Maxx. I took it anyway. It has been a pleasure to chat with you all. Move to Razr forum in... 3... 2... 1... Beep.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones