• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Anyone tried a new text message app?

sublow

Jun 29, 2010
I'm liking the standard text message app on the mini as I find it hard to see what I've written and it won't tilt so I can have a landscape keyboard.

Has anyone else tried a new text messaging app? If so which one have you tried and is it any good?

The standard SMS App is good in many ways, but I find the same problem as yourself! I find the short width of the screen prevents accurate key taps, and being able to use landscape mode would certainly widen the buttons to solve this, but it won't landscape the SMS App as you say :-/

I downloaded the "slideIT" keyboard App. It caused new problem! I find it more convenient to 'slide' the words I want, but because the slideIT keyboard is a little higher than standard, I can't see the top 2 lines of the 'reply' to a message! It types it but is invisible as it is hidden under the very large 'banner' at the top showing the persons' Name - I wish I could reduce the height of this banner as it is completely unnecessary!

Anyway, not tried any other keyboard App, but irrespective the SMS App will not landscape no matter what the keyboard, and if your new keyboard is too deep then you can't use "reply" to a message, you have to 'create' a message to overcome this annoying feature I described above.

Upvote 0
I've given HandCent a go and I'm really impressed.

I find it easier to use and you can use landscape keyboard. I've combined this with Smart Keyboard Pro so I can use qwerty in landscape and T9 in portait.

I'm loving being able to change basic things like SMS. I'm going to have a look see what else I can change.

Upvote 0
I've given HandCent a go and I'm really impressed.

I find it easier to use and you can use landscape keyboard. I've combined this with Smart Keyboard Pro so I can use qwerty in landscape and T9 in portait.

I'm loving being able to change basic things like SMS. I'm going to have a look see what else I can change.

With apps from market you can replace almost everything on the mini

Upvote 0
So I see. I'm in the process of checking out K-9 Mail which is brilliant compared to the standard mail app.

I'm going to try and find a new camera app next that has zoom and works with the flash.

Why did it take me so long to upgrade my classic Nokia ;)

yes mini is a great phone only hope sony will update it better then htc did with they phones :-/

the zoom on apps is not the best

Upvote 0
Is it possible to make handcent the default for messaging? I really like it but it is a bit of a pain that you have to open the app first to use it - I can make thick buttons the default for texting but can't seem to do it for handcent?

I don't have problems with it, you need to turn off the popup from default message app and then you can use handcent as the default sms app

Upvote 0
Does anyone else have an issue with Handcent's 'recent' contacts tab :thinking:

So if I go into Handcent to compose a new message and the click on the + to add a recipient there are 3 tabs across the top 'Contact', 'Group' & 'Recent'. In the recent tab I assume it should show people I have SMS'd recently and I think it used to in that there were 3 people's names in there. However, now this is not updating and is blank :mad:

Upvote 0
I still get the original sms app, I go to settings > sony ericsson > messaging, then the options are delivery report, notifications, notification tone, notification vibration, & SIM messages. I have tried unchecking all of these but when I go to the home screen and select the envelope icon from the top left corner of the screen I still get the usual sms app, & even when I open handcent I see no option to make that default. Sorry if it is me being thick :eek:

Upvote 0
I still get the original sms app, I go to settings > sony ericsson > messaging, then the options are delivery report, notifications, notification tone, notification vibration, & SIM messages. I have tried unchecking all of these but when I go to the home screen and select the envelope icon from the top left corner of the screen I still get the usual sms app, & even when I open handcent I see no option to make that default. Sorry if it is me being thick :eek:

You don't need to make Handcent the default app. You simply need to just stop using the default messaging app now you've removed its notifications. When on the home screen press the menu button (left-most button) and select arrange icons. Now you can overwrite the standard messaging app with the Handcent icon (in the top left hand corner) :D

Upvote 0
Everytime I read the recent reviews of Hancent there always seems to be alot of peopling complaining that recent updates make it 'hang' or 'delete my messages' and various other bugs.

It is really that buggy - as i'd certainly rate reliability as a No 1 criteria, and even though the default SMS App may lack certain features I've never had it lock-up or lose message - not once.

So, I'm reluctant to install something that seems unreliable in any way.

Upvote 0
Everytime I read the recent reviews of Hancent there always seems to be alot of peopling complaining that recent updates make it 'hang' or 'delete my messages' and various other bugs.

It is really that buggy - as i'd certainly rate reliability as a No 1 criteria, and even though the default SMS App may lack certain features I've never had it lock-up or lose message - not once.

So, I'm reluctant to install something that seems unreliable in any way.

I personally didn't liek Handcent for that very reason. It seemed very slow and unresponsive at times.
I've found ChompSMS to be much smoother :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones