Anyone tried Navdroyd on the GS?Support

Last Updated:

1. -Ollie-

-Ollie- Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I tried to install it one time.
    Every time I tried to open it, I got a dark screen for a few seconds, and then it went back to the apps page.
    I decided to give it a new try (the app is quite cheap) so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, and this time, I rebooted the phone agfter the 2nd install.
    It did not help.

Anyone else gave it a try on the GS? Overall, this app has very good ratings...

Advertisement
  2. -Ollie-

Just updating this thread for information purposes, in case others GS users are trying to use Navdroyd.

I had to download the latest version of Navdroyd. Then I had to delete the maps that I previously downloaded (they are located on the SD card), and re-download them using the latest version of Navdroyd.
    From this point, no more issues (I haven't tried yet the navigation, but using "my location" is quite accurate).

3. smithjones

smithjones Member

For sure give an update after you have used it. I am in Turkey right now - and would LOVE for this to work since it doesn't require any "phone time".

Looking forward to your report.

s/j

4. -Ollie-

The experience is pretty bad on my side :(
    The map by itself seems to be quite good, but the navigation part is crap. The app does not even list the capital of the country where I am trying to enter a street address for navigation!
    Do not forget that this is based on "open maps", so the experience in another country could be very good. Basically, you need to try it (you can always ask for refund within 24 hours through the android market if you don't like it). The app does have some good ratings overall. But for me, it doesn't work well.
    I will still keep it, it is so cheap anyway (the price is amazingly low) compare to any other GPS apps. It might work great in other countries (I am traveling a lot for business purposes). And I have to say that the support from the Navdroyd team is great. I had problems with my Galaxy S and they were very fast and efficient in their support.
    And anyway, a team who is attempting to provide GPS navigation support for such a low price do deserve to be encouraged.

My overal comment is: doesn't work for me, but it might work much better in other countries, and I will NOT ask for any refund as I want to support them for their huge work.

5. -Ollie-

Got an email from Navdroyd stating that there is a known bug in my country for searching some cities.
    They say that a new map should be released soon.

Will keep the community updated when I have more news.

6. kejlyCZ

kejlyCZ Well-Known Member

I've used Navdroyd in Czech republic, Germany and Denmark with good results. Of course, the program itself looks not so good like iGo or TomTom, sometimes I had problems to find street number (but numbers coverage was never 100% in all navigation programs). It's slower than NDrive or Sygic, you can't change anything in guidance mode (I think it's because it's german program, germans are obsessed with safety), you can't search for POIs around adress, just around your position (but many thing are "coming soon" regarding to developer). I need navigation once a month and this one in good enough for my purposes.