• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone tried Playon.tv

dhinez

Oct 21, 2009
Sumter
I'm just wondering if anyone has tried to set this up with there phone and PC. It seems like alternative to having a Slingbox. I set it up through my xbox and it seems to work well. I would have set it up with my phone but no internet yet. I'm using my phone as the modem. This is how I set it up:

EVO (tethering via EasyTether)> Laptop> Netgear router> Xbox 360

Seems like a funny setup but my wife watched "Days of Our Lifes" on it and I watched "Family Guy". The video was a bit choppy but hey, free tv. I just wish I had the 4G goodness here to have a better bandwidth speed. I even watched part of a movie from Netflix with my EVO as the modem. It played pretty smooth except it was in low resolution.

Playon.tv combines Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, etc. into a single area for streaming. I would like to know if someone is willing to give this a try and setup it up for the EVO. It's said to work with the Iphone, but I'm hoping it works with the EVO. It has a 15 day trial before you have to pay for the services. No credit card info needed. Just your name and email to get it running. Like I said I would have tried this myself, but I don't have a real internet connection.

Here is the website:

| PlayOn | Watch Hulu, CBS.com, MLB.tv, Netflix, and more on your TV with PlayOn!

I'm hoping to hear good news.:D

I have a Playon Premium account and received this in the mail today:

e1282331023.jpg

You can now watch PlayOn from your iPhone, over 3G or Wi-Fi! That means you can watch Hulu at the bustop, or The Daily Show on a plane, or MTV in the waiting room. All you need is a licensed version of PlayOn Premium running on your PC and an iPhone.

Best of all, we've reopened PlayOn Premium trials so you can try it out today, on us. Download your copy now for 14-days of watching on your iPhone. Of course you'll also have access to all of the other great Premium content.

So of course I sent the "Hey where is the Android version due out" email back. Here is their reply:

Dear ****,

Our engineers are currently working on Android support.

[FONT=&quot]Regards,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Alex[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]PlayOn Support[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]www.playon.tv[/FONT]

Upvote 0
I am a long time user of playon and have seen it change a lot over time. I am actually testing the beta version of playon for the android platform. It's coming along quite nicely and I look forward to having it completed.
For now, there will not be an app to use it, like the iphone, but it will use your web browser. This is because they want a sooner release date. An app is likely to come after the browser version is released and getting installed.
Keep following their site for it, as it is closer and closer to being finished all the time.
You can actually set it up on your phone now and browse the shows and check out the interface already, you just can't execute the streaming yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones