anyone upset over Droid's 9mos shelf life?

Last Updated:

1. gateway

gateway Member This Topic's Starter

Wow, only nine months and the phone has been pulled. I have a X and this does not bode will for me. I would like to see at least a year min. I know you got 2.2 but still that is short. Does that mean newer phones will have an even shorter life. The Droid was a big seller too.

Advertisement
  2. michaelbrazell

michaelbrazell Active Member

It's natural for an open platform like this, where multiple publishers can push the boundaries of the software and hardware. Imagine it more like a PC than your typical smart phone or mobile phone. It's rare to see a PC line that is pushed on a manufacturers website for more than 6 months. The only exceptions are, really, Apple in the home computer market, where one form factor or one edition will generally come out a year.

3. drudometkin

drudometkin Well-Known Member

Not upset at all. There were already better phones out many months ago.

ckochinsky125 likes this.
  4. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

These phones are just little computers, as such, there will always be something better just a few months away.

5. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

what does the shelf life of the phone matter at all? What matters is how long the phone works for you. I think the Droid will last most users 2 years without issue. Although there are a lot of users like myself that are already itching for a new phone.

Flahusky likes this.
  6. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Well-Known Member

LOL mine was still in the mail when the were discontinued. How do you think that makes me feel...

7. VIO

VIO Well-Known Member

agreed. tho so far I haven't seen anything else I like yet (or is not locked down). I love my Droid and with the vibrant Root community here this phone is going to kick ass for a long while yet.

8. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

I went to VZW's site last night and it still shows a DROID availalbe, and they are offering a BOBO free on it too....

9. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

sigh:(... that had to make room for the 2. plus nine months is a pretty good run. the more time pasts, the faster technology is going to advance. the x just came out last month and now look who's joining the game with a r2d2 edition to follow. just like mj and t-hawk are most popular in basketball and sk8boarding. even though there are new skaters and ball players who are out now and are awsome, we still remember those two because they left a big mark in the history of those sports. likewise, the original droid won't be forgotten. it left a huge mark in the smartphone world. Drooiiid! :D

10. johnlgalt

It did something very few phones outthere have done - came to us in a pristine condition, with no addons (Moto Blah! and SenseRH (resource hog)), not stupid little additions from VZW, no crippling of features from VZW....

About the only things missing were full Wireless N access and the FM Radio.

This is a powerful phone, and while there are more powerful phones out there, they also have one (or more) of the problems I listed before.

In the end, until some other manufacturer does the same thing with newer hardware (no addons, no customized OS, etc) I'll stick to my DROID TYVM.

9 months old or not.

Apeman likes this.
  11. loomer

loomer Well-Known Member

Who cares what the shelf life is? It's not like milk. It doesn't go sour. It's not like bread that goes stale. It's not like the phone is a piece of fruit that gets moldy. Get my drift?

drowe likes this.
  12. publicanimal

publicanimal Well-Known Member

Does the Droid 2 come with Motoblur? If so, that's pretty lame. It's cool that it comes with the Swype keyboard pre-installed though. I just got Swype off the web a few days ago and I can't believe I didn't track it down sooner.

13. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

I kinda think that so many peeps tried rooting thier phones and when things went wrong they cried to VZW that thier phone was broke when in fact it was not. Like boot looping or being stuck on the "M" logo. Anyway .... just think of the dollars it must have cost them. So now we got locked boot loaders and no sign of moto changing thier minds on this. Its really sad cuz I love the whole roming aspect of the Droid. I will be keeping an eye out for the next "open" phone (samsung ?) with a large Dev community.

just my thoughts folks ....

14. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

Everything I've read says it comes with whatever they call the new skin on the DroidX.

15. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

I did not read any mention of MotoBlur on VZW's website .... and I was looking for it

16. johnlgalt

Yes it does come with MotoBlah! I am an actual Beta tester for Swype so I have it officially through the correct channels, and yes, it rocks my world.

Perhaps - or it could be that the phone had too many other issues as well - blank screen, water damage, broken screens, etc.

No company makes an infinite amount of product, so in time it is bound to run out.

17. Genetic_Bloom

Genetic_Bloom Well-Known Member

It's not motoBlur it's ninjaBlur or whatever stupid name they're calling it now. It's still a skin, and it's still pretty ugly compared to stock or Sense.

18. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

Hell, I still play with my hacked V3ms & Krazrs!
    I doubt I'll be lured by anything better for more than two years' time. It would take a hell of a lot of "better" to make me drop my Droid. Lol!

19. allanlaw

allanlaw Well-Known Member

Shelf life? These ain't cartons of milk . . . :rolleyes:

20. cwcheese

cwcheese Well-Known Member

Nah, I'm not upset at all, indeed this bodes well for us who are comfortable with a 2 year refresh cycle. Imagine what will be available in 2012 for Droid(1) owners to update to new hardware! Welcome to the bleeding edge...Moore's Law in full effect.

Apeman likes this.
  21. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

I think I will just wait for an awesome android tablet and keep my free wifi tether :)

22. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

I plan to roll with my OG Droid until it kicks the bucket or at least 2 years until my next VZW NE2. Then, I will get the latest piece of badassness. As long as it works for me, and I can continue to load apps, I am GTG.

23. jdsingle

jdsingle Well-Known Member

Not at all. I'm glad I got my Droid at the beginning of the year. When I'm up for a new phone I might have an LTE I can buy or maybe even a 2GHz processor

24. sonnysideup

sonnysideup Active Member

atleast it wasnt the Eris and their 6 month life....

or the microsoft Kin1 and Kin2 which sold almost literally 500 units...

25. William T Riker

William T Riker Well-Known Member

yeah I'm good as well with my rooted original, by the time I'm up for upgrade 3.0 will be out and hopefully LTE as well.