1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone use Audible?

Last Updated:

1. tdse

tdse Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Curious if anyone has the Audible app on their Android phone. I just installed it on my Droid X, and it seems like a very nice app. *Far* better than the Audible App for my Blackberry.

One simple thing I cannot figure out how to do -- close it! LOL

I have (see) controls to play/pause, rewind 30 secs, bookmark, FF/RW. The menu button brings up options to "Share", "Button Free", "My Library", "Rate Title", and "Sleep".

Okay, but how do I close the darn thing?

Thanks!!

Advertisement
  2. kamikazekyle

kamikazekyle Well-Known Member

AFAIK, the Audible app doesn't have an exit function. You need to either use a task manager to force close it or wait for android to memory manage it out of active memory. I haven't noticed any issues (battery or otherwise) just letting it hang around as a background app, so long as it's not playing anything.

Edit: I should clarify that the last time I used the program was about two months ago, and I'm not sure if they released a new beta since then (or even the final :p ). I really only use it on long car trips.

tdse likes this.
  3. stevenlong

stevenlong Well-Known Member

Wow!! I have been waiting for them to release a version for the android phone for a while.
    Thanks for the information.

As for your question. Most (if not just about all) android applications don't close. The OS decides when to "unload" them. You can always go through settings -> Manage Applications -> filter the running application , find the application you want to "close" and press it, then choose force close.

Simple? There are other application out there that will do the same thing without all the steps.

tdse likes this.
  4. tdse

Thank you both very much. There is an updated (from the original beta) version of Audible in the market. Not sure exactly when it was released, but it is version 1.0.0

I'm new to Android (coming from BB), and am still trying to get used to the "not closing apps" concept. :cool:
    I think this one threw me because a little icon stays in the status bar.

I'm not a big fan of task killers (another subject, I know). I do have my DX rooted, and Auto Killer to enhance to Android memory management. I guess I could force close it, but as long as it's not causing issues, I'll just leave it be (deep breath). ;-)

Thanks ~ I'm just happy to know I'm not missing anything. Appreciate the feedback!

5. elbacker

elbacker Member

If you have the version from the market there is a quit button. If you are listening to an audio book hit the menu button and click my library once back your list of items hit the menu button again. Bottom row right hand side is a quit button with an x. Have to be in the my library screen. Quit button was not there in the beta

kamikazekyle and tdse like this.
  6. tdse

Ah...there it is, thank you! Wow, that was hidden just a bit. ;-)

7. kamikazekyle

kamikazekyle Well-Known Member

Thanks elbacker. I still have the google groups beta installed, which would be why it's lacking some of the newer features. Now I know to update before I have the road trip this weekend.

8. rdesbris2

rdesbris2 Active Member

Where do i go to get Audible for Android? The link at the Audible site doesn't work and Android Market does not seem to have a search capability.

9. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

The market does have a search option and Audible is listed as Audible in the market. What version of the OS are you running?