• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone use Dropbox?

There is an official referral thread here:
http://androidforums.com/android-applications/68894-dropbox-referral-thread-only-post-them-here.html

As for the OP's question. The good is that it can run on most systems, and it's very low maintenance. You install the dropbox program on your computer and it assigns a dropbox folder and any files you "drop" into it or change within it gets automatically sync'd with all the other computers running the dropbox program and a copy is sync'd online. The bad is that it doesn't sync with handheld devices. From your android phone the app lets you can access all the latest updated files (and download to your device is you choose) but it doesn't sync with a folder on your device to the files on your other systems. Also you from your device you can only upload media or text files. Another negative is that you only get 2gb at first and have to give out referrals to get increments of 256kb per referral or purchase extra space. So unless you pay for the extra capacity, it's really mostly good for sync'ing/backing up just your important files, sharing files, or replacing usb thumb drives.

Upvote 0
There is an official referral thread here:
http://androidforums.com/android-applications/68894-dropbox-referral-thread-only-post-them-here.html

As for the OP's question. The good is that it can run on most systems, and it's very low maintenance. You install the dropbox program on your computer and it assigns a dropbox folder and any files you "drop" into it or change within it gets automatically sync'd with all the other computers running the dropbox program and a copy is sync'd online. The bad is that it doesn't sync with handheld devices. From your android phone the app lets you can access all the latest updated files (and download to your device is you choose) but it doesn't sync with a folder on your device to the files on your other systems. Also you from your device you can only upload media or text files. Another negative is that you only get 2gb at first and have to give out referrals to get increments of 256kb per referral or purchase extra space. So unless you pay for the extra capacity, it's really mostly good for sync'ing/backing up just your important files, sharing files, or replacing usb thumb drives.

You can upload/download any type of file if you install OI File Manager (Free from the app store). This is a temporary workaround - see Tom's post here: Android file changed, how to sync back to dropbox? Dropbox Forums

-HD

Upvote 0
You can upload/download any type of file if you install OI File Manager (Free from the app store). This is a temporary workaround - see Tom's post here: Android file changed, how to sync back to dropbox? Dropbox Forums

-HD

Thanks for the tip. I checked it out and that solution may come in handy for moving files from my Dinc to my pc, but I really need sync to make changes to excel documents across my pc's and phone and it seems that doesn't work yet. Though I see from the thread an update is coming soon, so crossing my fingers.

Upvote 0
I have the dropbox application and can see the files there, but is there a way to copy the file from there to my SDCard?

Lex, files downloaded through Dropbox end up on your SD card in the 'Dropbox' folder. So, for example, if you want to download an actual mp3 file rather than just stream it, you can click and hold on a file in Dropbox to get a small menu and select that option.

To move files from the 'Dropbox' folder to another location on your SD card, you'll need to hook your phone to a computer or use a file manager (like Astro or the previously mentioned OI file manager). These will give you a nice UI to use to copy/paste/delete/etc files (and some other features as well).

-HD

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones