Anyone use Gadget Guard screen protector?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. rastoma

rastoma Member This Topic's Starter

I got a full body screen protector from Gadget Guard for my Epic 4G.

I didn't use the tiny strips around the edge but the back guard sure feels good, makes the phone feel a lot better while holding it.

The front guard looks great. You can't tell it's on and I have no marks or bubbles on the front (a couple around the curve of the back but not noticeable unless you're staring at the back). And the front feels good too. It doesn't cause drag when scrolling with my finger.

The only thing is it's a little hard to get the 'back' button to work. I don't know if it's the phone or the protector since the home button and everything else is fine. And the screen itself is overly sensitive to me so it's not affecting that either.

I didn't even want to touch the phone when I got it without a protector so I don't know if I should remove the protector and try the phone without it or not.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Advertisement
  2. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

I've never heard of it. Where did you get it? How is it applied?

I've tried many screen protectors - Zagg (invisible shield), Best Skins Ever, Phatom Skinz, Ghost Armor.

My favorite is Phantom Skinz - the matte skin set, with clear screen covers. It is the most natural feeling and looks great.

3. rastoma

rastoma Member This Topic's Starter

I found it on Ebay. And son of a gun, it's on sale now.

Of course it would be just a few days after I buy it. I paid $19.95 w/ free s/h, it's now $13.97 w/ free s/h. (came with free car chargers too).

Item # 110598918418 on Ebay that's still open. They have a website too, gadgetguard.com but their full front/back protector is cheaper on Ebay (way cheaper now because of the sale). (no I'm not affiliated with them at all).

I got one for my Epic 4G and my daughters Rumor Touch. I got them in 2 days (in TN). They came in some really nice packaging, a type of tri-fold folder with detailed instructions.

They too offer lifetime free replacements (have to pay s/h like Zagg).

I did some research and found reviews stating the GG was thinner than Zagg's and the full body protection was cheaper with the free shipping. Although I would have probably gone with Zagg's if I had noticed their 50% off sale about 3 weeks ago.

But so far I really like it. My daughter's installation didn't come out as perfect as mine so I'm going to get a replacement for hers (it's a SMALL blemish but she's as picky as me on our 'gadgets'). But it's the first time I've used a protector like this that used a bit of water to aid in installation. I got a small bowl of water and added a couple of drops of dish detergent (per their recommendations). I probably used more water than necessary but none got inside the phone. The soap really helped in sliding the protector around to ensure it being perfectly aligned. There's no bubbles at all and you can't tell it's on there until you see the cutouts where the camera and status lights are. I used a credit card to smooth it out and it didn't look so good immediately after installing. But after about 24 hours it was practically perfect.

I don't know if I will try any other brand as this initial experience has been better than expected.

4. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Hmmm not too many reviews for it, but if you're happy that's the most important thing.

I like Phantom Skinz because their cuts tend to be the most accurate, you get a set of 2 in a package, and their skins feel the best. But you'll be fine with Zagg as well.

Let us know how Gadget Guard does in the long run.

5. buggerritt

buggerritt Well-Known Member

On my touch pro 2, I tried Zagg. It was too soft. It kind of got a little stretch gouge in it when I tried to scratch something off of it, with my fingernail. It also has a slightly rippled look to it and you can tell it's there, by looking at it. I see photos of people's phones and can see it on them, in the photo. I replaced it with Clear Coat, that I found on the ppcgeeks forums. It was perfect. you can't even tell it's on there. I didn't get the full body, though. The gel case made it unnecessary. When I got my Epic, I forgot the name clear coat and tried boyguardz, since I heard everyone here raving about them. I got the full body protection. It seemed the same as the zagg and I ripped it off of my phone after 3 days of hating it. I just ran across the clear coat box and it reminded me of the product. I am going to buy one for this phone, right now. I just wish I could find a nice gel case for it. The ones I see don't look as nice as the one I have for my tp2. Luckily, I still have not a scratch on it. :)
    Here is a shot of it, with the backlight on:
    [​IMG]

...and here is one with the backlight off. You can see it has a crystal clear mirror finish. Sadly, I did have 2 scratches on the phone, before I got the protection on it, though.
    [​IMG]