Anyone use Google Apps Sync? Is it possible to sync Outlook contact and calendar with the Captivate?

Last Updated:

1. jshoe22

jshoe22 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone use Google Apps Sync? What exactly does it sync, how, and is it free?
    Is it possible to sync Outlook contact and calendar with the Captivate? I know this has been asked several times but o one really seems to know a definite answer.

Thanks again

Advertisement
  2. La Luna

La Luna Well-Known Member

3. jshoe22

Actually it wasnt. I'm talking Outlook Contacts and Calendar on a PC and he was speaking of an Exchange Server. Is there anyway to do it with standalone Outlook, NO Exchange?

Getting started with Google Calendar Sync - Google Calendar Help

Don't know if this works but looks like it might solve calendar issue now what about contacts?

Thanks

4. La Luna

La Luna Well-Known Member

Ahh, I see what you're saying now.

Hang in there, I don't know the answer , but I'm sure someone will be along.

5. NorCal Einstein

NorCal Einstein Well-Known Member

Google Apps Sync is for Google Apps Premier accounts. The only thing Google Apps Sync does is sync your Premier account (which contains email, calendars, contacts) to Microsoft Outlook. It is basically a piece of software that integrates Google Apps Premier into Outlook.

In case you don't know what Google Apps Premier is, think of it as corporate Gmail.

6. jshoe22

So what can I as an individual use to sync my Outlook calendar and contacts?

7. Copronymous

Copronymous Well-Known Member

Right here for the calendar:
    Getting started with Google Calendar Sync - Google Calendar Help

I use this on my work PC which uses Outlook. Syncs to my Google calendar. No need to futz with Exchange.

So far (been using it the last 10 days or so) it's been great. Syncs in both directions, and I have it set to sync fairly frequently so I'm up-to-date on both ends.

jshoe22 likes this.
  8. jshoe22

Do you also have it sync contacts or use anything that will?

9. Copronymous

Unfortunately no, it only does the calendar.
    I keep my work and personal contacts separate, and only use the work calendar as a convenience for me (they don't pay for my phone so I don't use it for work).

10. NorCal Einstein

I'll 2nd Google Calendar Sync. I used it about a year ago when I was on my Blackberry, and didn't have Google Apps Premier. It's a great piece of software when your email has those kinds of limitations.

I don't know of any programs to keep Outlook contacts synced up with your phone, but you COULD import your Outlook contacts to your Gmail account. If you do that, your phone will be able to sync itself with all the your Gmail contacts (which would include Outlook contacts). The limitation here is that this is not a sync, but a 1-time migration. You would have to repeat importing contacts from Outlook to Gmail every once in awhile to keep things up to date.

11. jshoe22

How often does it update for you? Is there a selection of when it updates or is it statically set?

12. jshoe22

Must I create a Gmail accout to use some of the apps? I have a Google account but not Gmail (it's my regular email). I really don't want a Gmail account.... But if it's free it will work. Do you know how hard it would be to export from Outlook contact to Gmail contacts?

13. Copronymous

I have it set to update every 15 minutes. You can have it work as frequently as you want, though.

jshoe22 likes this.
  14. NorCal Einstein

I'm not totally familiar with what features are supported on a Google Account (non-Gmail), vs Google Account w/ Gmail.

If you get a Gmail account, importing contacts from Outlook is pretty easy. Google has documentation on what's involved in doing so, and the steps are short and quick.

To import contacts to Gmail:

To export contacts from Outlook or other sources:

If you have a few different places where you keep contacts (multiple email addresses), importing those contacts to a Gmail account can be really useful since it creates a centralized location for those contacts which can be synced to your phone, and accessed in one location. Even if you don't want to use Gmail, you could just use to account to sync your calendars and contacts, and not use it for email.

Google Calendar Sync will sync Outlook calendar events to your Gmail account. Importing your contacts from Outlook to your Gmail account will reconcile your contacts...and both of those things can be accessed through your phone by just adding the Gmail account to it. It's not a direct way to do things, but it will work!

jshoe22 likes this.