Anyone use Orb?

Last Updated:

1. jackburnt

jackburnt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I got Orb working with music just fine, but not with video yet. I'll keep working on it.

However, does anyone have suggestions for making Orb easier to use with music? I can play an album, but it puts it in one big file, so I can't advance the music. Or I can play one song and keep going back everytime.

Also, I can't figure out how to multitask while listening to music. Anytime I change screens, it turns everything off.

Or is Orb not worth it?

Advertisement
  2. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

I gave up on Orb before I got my Droid...too much tweaking/futzing, and the pc client was bogging down my system. W/a 16GB card i can pretty much have as much music/video on it as I need, and pandora, slacker, etc., as well as streaming radio stations give enough music options that I'm happy w/out Orb.

3. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

I use Orb ALL the time on my PC, but I have yet to try it on my phone. Mainly because I use it to watch TV and a few videos I can stream from my PC.

4. jestexman

jestexman Well-Known Member

I use it but only with the browser not the app. Works well for me. I use it more on the Wii than the phone.

5. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

How's your memory? Maybe it's killing ORB when you switch to a different app, because it definitely is supposed to run in the background while you use different apps.

I can easily exit out of ORB with the home button while it's playing music and surf the web, send emails, text, etc.

Do you have any task killers that may be killing it?

6. jackburnt

Does yours run in a specific app? Because as soon as I hit home, it closes/stops the music. I can lock the phone, but that's it.

7. Fabolous

It just runs in the background. I can see it running still using ATK.

This gets me to thinking...are you using OrbMedia or OrbLive?

I have OrbLive, as I use it to watch TV sometimes while I'm on the go. But if you're running OrbMedia, that may be the difference?

Though it makes no sense to make one background capable and the other not...

8. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

I'm running Androrb and it does do audio and video, but I can't get it to do anything over 3g...Only WiFi. As far as the cutting off when switching screen, I'll have to try when I get home from work tonight, I hadn't noticed that before..

9. jackburnt

That could be the problem as I was opening the audio file through the browser.

I'll download both and try.

I can't find OrbMedia. All I can find is Androrb and OrbLive. Does OrbLive play your music/video from home? Trying Androrb now.

10. JM33

JM33 Well-Known Member

I have used orb through the browser, it will open and play the stream in a seperate app. The mobile version of the website is a little faster, or the ?media center? display isn't bad. As far as easier to use for playback, skipping tracks, etc. I don't think there is a solution. Its just the nature of streming files, one big track or several small ones. Making playlists helps a little.

11. Fabolous

I wouldn't buy OrbLive unless you have a TV tuner, since that's what the extra $5 gives you access to.

Here's the QR code for OrbMedia:

[​IMG]

I haven't tried Androrb.

EDIT: so weird, looks like the QR code doesn't work either...must be down for the time being. All the official ORB apps were up just a few hours ago...

12. jackburnt

Androrb isn't very good. It lists all your musical TRACKS and I can't figure out a way to sort/view by other formats. Video worked, but was choppy/unwatchable.

I'll try OrbMedia down the road. Hopefully it'll be slightly better. I just may give up on listening to my music and stick to Pandora.

Thanks all.

13. Fabolous

They're back up.

OrbLive just got an update, and one of the changes, lol, is that there is now a notification in the bar while it plays in the background haha.

Maybe they were watching this thread :p

Also, I notice that my albums loaded up a lot faster. As always, there is good management of music by artist, album, genres, etc, and you can queue songs to your now playing.

14. jackburnt

Right when I disable Orb on my home computer. Oh well, that's why God invented Remote Desktop.

Thanks for the update. Bout to try it out after I do a bit of housekeeping at work.