• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Anyone use the desk clock?

rndmhero

Mar 30, 2010
So the default Sense clock widget has a mode called desk clock, and it basically switches the entire screen to a black background with a digital clock on it. It's simple, but I like the idea for when I'm sleeping or working on the computer or whatever. Thing is, the screen still times out and locks itself at the normal length of time, which makes the mode pretty useless. Does anyone know of a way around this, or is this really feature really that poorly planned?

I use an app called "keep screen" U tell it what programs not to let the screen sleep in.
I use it for maps, dialer, desk clock, and whatever else I want to keep the screen on.
I also love the clock app. This is my main alarm and "desk clock" on the nite stand. Since I only have the phone vibrate to wake me, it took awhile to find the alarm volume sound, but once I turned that off, I love it.

Upvote 0
So the default Sense clock widget has a mode called desk clock, and it basically switches the entire screen to a black background with a digital clock on it. It's simple, but I like the idea for when I'm sleeping or working on the computer or whatever. Thing is, the screen still times out and locks itself at the normal length of time, which makes the mode pretty useless. Does anyone know of a way around this, or is this really feature really that poorly planned?

If you plug it in to charger it does not time out if you use either of the bottom screen modes for night time MOON STAR or SCREEN Saver, but they are kind of dim for day time use. It also does portrait or lanscape mode. The Screen saver mode Little screen with clock on it will redisplay the clock every 2 minutes in a different place so it does not burn into screen. It is brighter also.

Upvote 0
Alternatively, if the phone is charging via the usb cable the screen won't turn off in desk-clock mode.

Which is my problem. I wasn't sure what to expect from OLED, but it isn't different from TFT as there is some glow off the screen.

The best alarm clock I've ever seen or had is the one I've used for 20 years now (give or take). It just has red leds. But it has no glow. You can see the red lights from anywhere in the room if you have a direct view, but it doesn't put out any light, not even on my shiny dresser which is sits on. I always wanted to replace it with something sexier than red, but every other clock I've seen glows. I like my bedroom as dark as possible.

Getting back to the HTC deskclock. You get a small clock on screen that looks very plain with glow. The stock 2.1 deskclock has a bigger time display which looks sleaker with weather and the buttons to launch into photos or music. The stock 2.0 has an even bigger time display (no weather I think) and the photo/music buttons.

The htc car panel is just lame. A big plain 3x2 grid that doesn't go into landscape and I don't give a crap about footprints.

Upvote 0
I use an app called "keep screen" U tell it what programs not to let the screen sleep in.
I use it for maps, dialer, desk clock, and whatever else I want to keep the screen on.
I also love the clock app. This is my main alarm and "desk clock" on the nite stand.

same here. i use Keep Screen as well for music apps and a few other things. i charge my phone all night every night and have the phone set to stay awake when the phone is charging, it's an option in the stock android settings. when charging overnight i do use the desk clock app.

Upvote 0
I would use the Night-mode on the Desk Clock for the simple reason that its the only clock app that turns off the LEDs behind the 4 softbuttons when on. I apparently sleep in a really dark room and am a light sleeper because even the night-mode text is too bright. Found a great app (Digital Clock) that lets me change the color of the text to a nice dark red thats almost invisible during the day but is perfect at night but those damn white LEDs are soo bright its useless. Has anybody found a way to disable those white LEDs? Please, I'm willing to pay good money for this even though I see it as a huge oversight on Google's fault. Disabling the autobrightness doesn't help and I haven't found a way to disable the ambient light sensor either. The only thing I've found is a "LED hack" app for rooted Droids, but not an option on the incredible just yet.

Reactions: jediknight36
Upvote 0
If anyone is still watching this thread can I ask a related question?

I have a Desire HD and I can't seem to disable vibration for the alarm clock. It doesn't take much to wake me up in the morning so I like to have a relatively soft tone when the alarm sounds. The vibration from the phone alone jolts me awake before the tone has even started!
I see you're new here, so first: Welcome.

A few suggestions for how you can get the most out of this site:

So you're asking an unrelated question about a different phone in a thread that hasn't been active for months. Do you see how that isn't a good way to get help?

Here's a link to the proper forum: Desire HD - Support and Troubleshooting - Android Forums

You can search for your problem within that forum by clicking on the link at the top right that reads, "Search this Forum".

If you still can't find an answer or a related thread, then start a new thread by clicking on the at the top left

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones