Anyone use their Evo to connect Xbox Live?Support

Last Updated:

1. berardi1111

berardi1111 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm curious if anyone has done it, and what their experience has been. Someone mentioned issues related to ad hoc network, but others said it worked. Would love to hear your experience.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. MiDri

MiDri Active Member

unrEVOked + Android-Wifi-Tether = Wireless access point. No need to worry about adhoc crap. (android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code)

3. berardi1111

Sweet.. thanks. So why does the default version do adhoc? It seems strange.

Hope they don't shut that project down.(doubt they would, lots of other projects like that have been around)

4. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

Default version of what? The built in Sprint Hotspot is Infrastructure and I thought the WiFi Tether for Evo was defaulted that way too

5. berardi1111

The builtin tethering methods- I don't have my Evo yet but I heard someone saying it was an ad hoc connection. Anyone know specifics on that?

6. CaveKittyMeow

CaveKittyMeow New Member

I tried it and it "works'. I could connect to xbox live, but I couldn't really connect to any games (I tried to play halo, but it never found a game). I am running 3g though. It would probably work better for 4g.

7. berardi1111

doh! lol

I was hoping I'd be able to play Halo on it :)

8. PapiLou

PapiLou Member

I have not tried to play Xbox live while connected to the EVO, however, I do have a close friend who has Clear and even on full strength with a wired connection from the modem, games lag (Gears 2, COD MW 2).

9. berardi1111

meh! how bad is it? lol

10. Daft Punk

Daft Punk Well-Known Member

the connection for XBL gaming has to be cable speeds or better for games not to be laggy online.

11. berardi1111

well my cable was 3 mb / s when I still had it. It's the ping/latency that's the issue from what I hear.

12. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Active Member

I am using the Wireless Tether app right now to tether to my laptop and Xbox. After playing Halo 3 for 30 minutes I have used a grand total of 3.5 MB down and 1.2 MB up... That is a minuscule amount of data. I am using voice chat as well. Lag is there but not unbareable. I get 3-4 bars on halo and stay in the yellow, sometimes moving into the green.

I am impressed, especially since I am only getting 1-3 bars on my phone in this house where I am house sitting.

13. modern

modern Well-Known Member

I tried it with my Nexus One and it took like 10 minutes to find a game on Modern Warfare 2, played it for a few minutes and go kicked out and its very LAGGY. I'm surprised I got 5 kills.

14. jprow507

jprow507 Well-Known Member

I have done this successfully as well and was also surprised by the small data usage. My question that I'm hoping someone can answer is how to get game updates to work.

I have some games (Red Dead Redemption) that require an update to play on LIVE but the update always fails. I have played MW2 successfully with minimal lag but really want to know a way to get the update to work.

15. PurpleBandit

PurpleBandit Active Member

people have tried that and actually had some success? I know the evo is powerful,but that's live!!

16. jprow507

jprow507 Well-Known Member

Thats what I thought but it works perfectly (HTC Incredible - but basically the same phone) .... you would be surprised.

17. defininmoment

defininmoment Active Member

Works very good on 4G with gears of war

18. berardi1111

Here's an idea for anyone doing this and having trouble: My connection has been much better when I tether to my PC first, and hten bridge the connection to my Xbox. No idea why, but just seems to work better.

19. treborcj

treborcj Well-Known Member

When using 4G for Xbox live, can you still send and receive calls?

20. HTC EVO

HTC EVO Active Member

I am too curious about this question as well? What happens if someone calls you while you are connected and playing?

21. The Monsoon

The Monsoon Member

So I have tried on multiple occasions to connect my Xbox360 to my Evo running Wireless Tether via the internal wireless. Every time I get an error that the xbox cannot obtain an IP address? Every post I read says how easy it is to connect yet I have tried every setting and can't get past a simple connection to my phone??? Please help!

22. Dose

Dose Well-Known Member

I did this for months....First I was using pda net and running it through my laptop and sharing the connection with the Xbox....but that got annoying so I rooted my Evo, Got wifi tether...and Just connected wireless. Turned on 4g and would play all night with no lag....but I am also down the street from a Clear tower...so I would always have 2 or 3 4g bars