Anyone used their Droid with a car stereo's USB input

Last Updated:

1. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm getting a new car stereo next month, and I'm thinking about getting one with a USB input in it. Has anyone used their Droid like this before? It'd be great if I didn't have to run Droid charging cable all the way to car power port, but I'd like to make sure it works before buying one. Also, would a stereo be able to browse the folders on the microSD, like a computer? That would be awesome.

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Haven't done it, but I think it would work. You could just simply take your DROID with a cable to a retail store that has a stereo w/ USB port on display, and try it for yourself. Although, if the stereo doesn't detect the DROID when you plug it in, you might need to use an app that shares the sdcard to two sources simultaneously.

Just curious though ... wouldn't it be just as easy (even cooler) to buy a stereo that accepts Bluetooth audio from your DROID?

jamo likes this.
  3. Droidizzle

Droidizzle Well-Known Member

I havent used the usb but the blue tooth puts out excellent audio quality and no cables needed.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

jamo likes this.
  4. jamo

The bluetooth is a nice option, but I'd really like to avoid running my charger cable all the way across the center console of my car. That's why I'd like to just have the one wire running from the Droid dock to the stereo. I'll look at the Bluetooth option though.

5. bills534

bills534 Well-Known Member

my friend has a kia with a built-in usb port in the console. (I think it's there for ipods) anyway i plug into it just wanting to charge and was surprised when the radio started playing mp3s off my droid. didn't even have to mount the sd card.

6. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

You are assuming that the USB port from the stereo is also going to charge your DROID. This would be another thing you'd want to investigate before purchasing.

7. jamo

Yeah, that is what I mentioned in my OP, and one of the main reasons I'd like to have it. My charging port is in the middle of my center console, and I'd like to not have my charging cord running all that way if I can avoid it. Thanks!

8. vaio

vaio Well-Known Member

I can confrim that it DOES wrok. Its not a fast charge but does charge. Used it on an alpine radio.

9. marvinrock

marvinrock Well-Known Member

I just use Aux-In on mine - which can be super irritating because when the cable moves at all, the sound hiccups quite a bit.

10. vaio

vaio Well-Known Member

I had the same problem. If your using a 2 prong in-cable you need to get a 3 prong and all will be good. Hope you know what I mean.

11. zandroid

zandroid Well-Known Member

I don't, and could be why my music playback tends to suck - care to explain so I can go grab a better one?

12. bose301s

bose301s Well-Known Member

It charges it because the USB port on the stereos act as a USB port from a PC, 5V 500mA power limitations and all, although since the Droid is a single device it may have a 100mA limit which explains the extremely slow charging process.

thisISjoel likes this.
  13. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

May I ask what kind of car stereo? If you are planning on using bluetooth to stream music, I would suggest a head unit that has a built-in parrot bluetooth. Most stereos with parrot built in also have usb so you can get the best of both worlds. :D

14. fedrich519

fedrich519 Active Member

I can confirm that yes it does work in my Kia Optima. I have a USB port, it does charge the phone. I had to mount my USB before the car would recognize it, then it started playing the tracks just fine.