Anyone using an Iphone 4 and a Captivate?

Last Updated:

1. Ferris23

Ferris23 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

From what AT&T tells me I can't swap SIM (with an adapter) back and forth or I will lose my unlimited data plan.

Is this true?

I find that incredibly annoying if so. I want to be able to use whichever phone I want at any given time.

Advertisement
  2. Germanguy

Germanguy Member

I am swapping sim between my IP4 and Captivate without a problem. On my account it still says unlimited iphone data plan

3. Ferris23

Ferris23 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Interesting, well that is encouraging. Why are AT&T being stupid about it?

Are you using an adapter?

4. mongstradamus

mongstradamus Well-Known Member

When i went with captivate back to my old iphone, the data plan didnt transfer which was weird. I had to change my data plan from smartphone data plan to an iphone data plan for it to work

5. Germanguy

Germanguy Member

I purchased the Captivate on a different line within my family plan (not the line that I have my iPhone 4 on). A day later I called ATT support and had them cancel the Captivate and put the old phone back on that line. I am using the same Sim now for my iPhone4, Captivate and ATT tillt2 with my unlimited iPhone data plan. Captivate and ATT Tilt 2 data plans will not work with the iPhone, but the iphone data plan will work with all other smartphone (at least as of now)
    Yes, I am using a black plastic adapter from Europe for my SIM . Works great.

Ferris23 likes this.
  6. Sharkonwheels

Sharkonwheels Well-Known Member

I think the way it works, is using an iPhone plan on a smartphone will work, but a smartphone plan will not work on an iPhone, ie, iPhone 3GS SIM will work in a captivate, but an account with a captivate, the captivate's SIM will only work for voice on the 3GS. It'll literally say there's no iPhone data plan on the account.

Ran into this while prepping my wife's old 3GS for sale a few weeks ago.

T

7. cabsnow

cabsnow Member

Same!

8. motionxxusxx

motionxxusxx Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about picking up the captivate to use along with my IP4 as well. Love the IP4, but like android as well and would like to mix it up every onece in a while. For those using both what are your opinions and which do you use more? Also, has the captivate been rooted. I would like to put froyo on. I don't see any sicky rooting topics in the captivate forum.

9. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

there is a section for rooting topics at the top of the captivate page

10. motionxxusxx

motionxxusxx Well-Known Member

my bad, looked right over that section.

Thanks

11. thejdubb02

thejdubb02 Well-Known Member

I work for AT&T and have yet to see someone loose the $30 unlimited plan when switching between smart phones.

However, being that the system can tell which device you are using via the IMEI, and has the ability to change the data plan automatically to match the correct device, there is a possibility that for some people it might just bypass the $30 and give you the $15 or $25 data plan. This is unintentional, and can be fixed by customer care on the phone.

1-800-331-0500 or 611 from your AT&T cell phone.