Anyone using Evo as golf gps?

Last Updated:

1. TRSN

TRSN Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Wondering what the experiences have bee with using the Evo with a golf gps app. I have used the iPhone and it is pretty accurate. I am test driving a Captivate, in anticipation of the Epic, and the GPS is awful (as documented on this forum). The Epic GPS issue is causing me to look at the Evo instead.

I use GPS while traveling all the time and is a must have. I figure if the Evo is accurate on the golf course it will be great on the road.

Advertisement
  2. jbsg02

jbsg02 Well-Known Member

Yes, I used Free Caddie and it works great. Drains the battery (from about 100 to 60) if you leave it on for the entire round

3. vblick

vblick Well-Known Member

i use my sky caddie for this :D

4. bvbull200

bvbull200 Banned

The way I hack at it, my battery would drop to about 20% for a round. I assume you have to play courses that are already loaded for it to work? I wouldn't mind giving something like that a whirl.

So that is a "no" for the question being asked? :rolleyes:

5. rcubed3r

rcubed3r Well-Known Member

I use golflogix, and it is very accurate. It is always right in line with dedicated handhelds my playing partners have.

Ron

6. crakkajakka15

crakkajakka15 Member

hopefully the company Golfshot will come out with a gps app like they have for the iPhone. That app is the end all of golf gps apps IMHO. I emailed them waiting on their response.

7. Catpfish

Catpfish Member

I have used SkyDroid. Might not be the slickest looking program but it is accurate and it's only $1.99 in the market.

8. chocmatic

chocmatic Well-Known Member

I use it with freecaddie...I need it bad for my +25 handicap LMFAO jk..it's not that bad

9. CJK

CJK Member

I've used both skydroid and freecaddie. Both were accurate and both had the few public courses I've played here in NE wisconsin. I now use skydroid weekly as knowing the distance to the front and back of the hazards are very useful since my second shot is often from some unfortunate spot. Freecaddie only has distance to green, no hazards. I would guess that the skycaddie Android app is better than skydroid but I'm not missing it for skydroid's $1.99 price.

10. Venkman

Venkman Member

I use GolfLogix and at all the courses I've played with my Evo, the yardages have been very accurate. I also love all the stats the program keeps, aerial views, etc... Great program.

Also, the Evo has PLENTY of battery life to last an entire round of golf and more so don't worry about that either.

11. stevent76

stevent76 Member

I use it all the time. It is actually quicker than my friends skycaddie. I tried using the Hero as a golf GPS and it was horrible!

12. ibleedbloo

ibleedbloo Well-Known Member

I am using FreeCaddie and love it! I was using on Windows Mobile and the Android app is even more awesome! I use FreeCaddie with my EVO and my buddy uses it on his Moment. When we put our phones side by side there is always about a 2-5 yard difference. Not sure whose is right or more wrong, but for free, you can't go wrong!

I 100% recommend FreeCaddie. P.S., I'm just using the free version so I can't comment on the accuracy of the paid version which includes hazard location. Also, as for battery life, it is a bid of a hog. If I start with a full charge after a 4 hour round I'd be at about 50%.

13. septro

septro Well-Known Member

GolfLogix is pure kick-ass and beats lots of dedicated golf-gps handhelds. I've play multiple full rounds, measuring yardage, using satellite views with no need to swap batteries.

Totally worth the price of admission

14. edwelly

edwelly Well-Known Member

I am using SkyDroid and have been very happy with it.

15. vblick

vblick Well-Known Member

Lookout everyone - the inference master has arrived

16. YODANADANE

YODANADANE Member

Freecaddie is GREAT for a free version but the paid version (freecaddiepro)for $14.95 is AWESOME. It is pretty accurate...I compared this to my Skycaddie. The bonus is...there isn't an annual fee like Skycaddie and it's just as good. I play golf about 3 times a week and I love it because I don't have to carry 2 devices. It drains the battery because of the GPS but I just carry an extra one fully charged. Batteries are so affordable through Ebay nowadays...I have 5 on hand :D

17. hank3rd

hank3rd New Member

I use Greenfinder. I used it on my blackberry and it was good. I was able to switch over the license when I got my EVO. Works good and they just updated it. They have a free trail and it is $35/yr.

18. TRSN

TRSN Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

freecaddiepro for $14.95 - just bit of an oxymoron.

thanks to all for the responses. looks like there are plenty of choices.

19. YODANADANE

YODANADANE Member

Well...freecaddie is indeed free just for the GPS version to let you know yardage to the front...middle and back of green. Not a true oxymoron.

They created the PRO version to be like Skycaddie...does everything hence the $14.95 one time fee but no yearly dues.

20. marriedman624

marriedman624 Well-Known Member

I was using Sky Caddie for GPS and another app for the scorecard. Played this past Sunday with my brother in law and he introduced me to GolfLogix. That program is amazing. Gives you distances to green, to hazards, over hazards, even gives you distance to 100,150 layups. Also allows you to track so many stats (fairways hit, GIR, up and downs, penalty shots). Needless to say, it is the best app out there, IMO, for Android.

Oh yeah, best of all ITS FREE!!!!!

21. PhxDroid

PhxDroid Member

You gotta do golflogix, as one of the partners is a great buddy of mine here in phoenix.
    Shameless plug to help my buddy.

ovdevil likes this.
  22. jorgeszabo

jorgeszabo New Member

I recently installed GolfLogix on my new Evo. Overall it's a good app and very accurate. The only thing I don't like is the fact that after I exit the app (pressing the phone's "back" arrow from the home screen or pressing the phone's "home" button) the GPS stays on looking for a location and draining battery. The only way to completely turn off the application is to kill it using a task killer. Are any of you guys using the Evo with GolfLogix having the same issue?

23. Karuk

Karuk Well-Known Member

I use the iGolf app on my incredible. My buddies have the evo and use it as well. Free (unless you want course images) distance readings to all points.

24. Venkman

Venkman Member

I was having that issue with the previous version of it. I noticed that they recently released version 4.1 to the market. Download that and it should fix the problem like it did on mine.

25. Boby

Boby New Member

Hi everyone, for my part I use Mobitee and I didn't have any issue during my game ... My french friend has also this app but on his Iphone and it's better for navigation! It sure that we gain time, it's accurate and fast, especially thanks to the new version