Anyone using Juice Defender?

Last Updated:

1. ifb-online

ifb-online Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm currently using the free version of Juice Defender. I'm not sure if your phone should be set with mobile data switched on or off while using Juice Defender. Does JD turn data on and then off with the phone set to off to start with, or should the phone be set to data on, so that JD can manage data access according to the chosen schedule?

Ian

Advertisement
  2. ifb-online

I decided to do a full to empty test and yesterday morning at 6:30AM the battery was 100% after an overnight charge. 26 hours later, and what I'd call average use, it's down to 2%. Very roughly, battery run down is 4% an hour. I'm use Juice Defender (free version) to maintain internet contact (2 minutes up time per half an hour). I was just wondering if this is what others are getting or whether there are som further optimisations I should be aiming for?

Ian

3. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

In my experience turning on/off data connection with juice defender used more power than leaving on.

4. jauhari

jauhari Well-Known Member

Can anybody tell me, what the number that show up in desktop/screens mean. Example

Battery life
    x2.16

Sent from my HTC Desire

5. Asheboy

Asheboy Member

Im pretty sure it means that it is extending your battery life by 'x2.16' so by 216 percent.

6. jauhari

So if our icon said x2.16

If without Juice need recharge in 24 hours,
    with juice it's will 24 x 2.16 = 52 hours?

Is it right?

7. b0ng0

b0ng0 Well-Known Member

Technically yes, but I've found that this isn't very accurate.

I used JD quite a bit but never really got more battery life out of it. If you really want to extend battery life, just turn off mobile data when you don't need it - I can easily get 50+ hours doing this.

8. adam1985

adam1985 Well-Known Member

Yea thats what it means but im not sure how it works it out?

9. kopite72

kopite72 Well-Known Member

I installed Juice Defender at the weekend, paid for the full version & was amazed how much longer the battery lasted. It finally ran out after 36 hours of moderate to heavy use, before this i was lucky to get 15-18 hours use. Also altered the screen brightness the same day so might of helped

10. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

I installed JD and I fell foul of the APN reactivation thing, by which I mean when JD turns off the mobile network, I can't get it to turn back on without a reboot. Anyone suffer from this and/or know a workaround?

11. mr.hachi

mr.hachi Well-Known Member

I had no end of problems with JD, I just decided to remove it and pretend it never happened.

12. nijbuck

nijbuck Member

Hey Nodders. Suffered from exactly the same thing so have now un-installed. Shame as it really did extend my battery life!

13. mirrorimage

mirrorimage Well-Known Member

I've been using this for the last month now, and it really is a genius application.
    I did notice that the apn didn't go back on unless I did a reboot... I emailed the developer and he sorted it within a day!
    I'm a very heavy user, and now am getting a good day and a half out of it.
    Really, delete your task killer and use this; it works a treat!

14. kobirulali

kobirulali Well-Known Member

I too have the same problem (on UK o2)! Interesting point in emailing the developer, did they do a special custom version of the software for you or a patch?

15. jauhari

Can you tell me what's developed said to fix your problem? Because I got the problem too

16. jauhari

What's heavy usage that you mean? Sent/Receive SMS? Browsing the net? YouTube video?

Or use HTC for CALL and SMS only?

17. Pryomancer

Pryomancer Well-Known Member

It certainly isn't 216%. An application like that will not double your battery life. 2.16% is much more likely.

18. ifb-online

I have monitored battery usage with just the phone enabled (no wifi or mobile data) and it's working out at 2% per hour. That's half the consumption compared to with Juice Defender on, but of course the phone isn't doing anything apart from waiting for a phone call or SMS message. 2% per hour means 2 days at a stretch but only with minimal use...

19. kopite72

kopite72 Well-Known Member

Sending lots of text. Surfing the net and about 3 or 4 hours listening to music. Also tested it when I went to sleep it only used 5% battery over 8 hours. Thought that was good.

Been using msn lots tonight and the battery isnt as good so looks like MSN is a heavy battery user. Still on 60% after 5 hours very heavy use

20. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I tried it today to see if I could set nighttime silent mode but you need the pay app. I uninstalled it. Took me about 5 minutes after areboot to work out why I couldn't connect to mobile data network. It had changed my APn settings. I'm sure it probably states in the documentation that it does this, but I didn't read anything,

D'oh

21. mirrorimage

mirrorimage Well-Known Member

It needs to do that I think... it runs in the background; so it reads the time the APN is on and the amount of data it uses.

22. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

It makes sense. But installed, played and uninstalled without knowing it had done it. I was worried for a moment.

23. lifeonmtv

lifeonmtv Well-Known Member

hmm so if u r not connecting to the internet u r better off without juice defender.

but what about if u are planning to connect, would be keen to test that.

1-phone with wifi battery % per hour
    2-phone with wifi and juice defender % per hour
    3-phone with 3g battery % per hour
    4-phone with 3g and juice defender % per hour
    (I guess the results would vary according to how many/which apps u r running)

might have a go at that some time.

24. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

Yup. The big thing JD does is to manage APN (and WiFi on the paid version) depending on usage (i.e time of day, whether the screen is on/traffic is in flow, proportion of each hour to switch on etc). If you don't use APN in particular then you wont see much benefit from JD even theoretically.

25. arj2442

arj2442 Active Member

Hi there, ive just uninstalled JD myself and lost my 3g connection....can you guide me briefly how to get it back im lost.

Cheers