• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Anyone using Remote Desktop with Droid for a Mac???

Yea man, im just calling it all remote desktop (to save myself a headache) but im gonna double and triple check the ports and then forward them.

good idea about cutting off wifi (it always is) but it makes sense, this way its actually going to attack the router from an outside.

just realized i forgot the router password, what a moron i am.. gonna have to wait for my dad to get some and get the password from his ass

Upvote 0
I GOT IT!!!! install remote VNC. then on a mac go to system preferences and click on sharing, then check the box screen sharing and select it. look at the numbers in the line under the green dot, enter the numbers as the address in Remote VNC, then click on computer settings on the mac window and set the same pass on mac and droid, then press back and click on the ip number/address you entered in.

Upvote 0
I GOT IT!!!! install remote VNC. then on a mac go to system preferences and click on sharing, then check the box screen sharing and select it. look at the numbers in the line under the green dot, enter the numbers as the address in Remote VNC, then click on computer settings on the mac window and set the same pass on mac and droid, then press back and click on the ip number/address you entered in.

yup pretty much.. u port forwarding as well i assume right?

actually, this only works if the ip ur seeing on the mac sharing screen isnt behind a firewall..

Upvote 0

That will work when you are on the same network as your machine that you're trying to access.

If you're elsewhere (like at an Internet Cafe, school, etc.) where you ahve connectivity and need to access your machine from outside your network, you'll probably need to do the same thing as DanSan is working through right now.

Upvote 0
yea if your behind a firewall (router..) you need to do the following:

1) download remote vnc on droid

2) enable remote management on your mac, set a password

3) create a no-ip account and add your visible ip to it so it goes from being 42.62.524.234. to something you can remember, like mydomain.no-ip.org

4) forward the port #5900 in your routers config

5) put the info from your noip account into remote vnc on your droid, as well as the pass you set on the mac.

6) should be all set.

Reactions: climbhigh09
Upvote 0
i used android-vnc and wine/stock SL app. both are choppy. i want to use this with my server at home with a TV tuner. Is there any VNC / remote desktop app for MAC that will give me a better refresh rate so video is possible? Thanks

No, no vnc app will give smooth screen transitions. It's basically sending a stream of static images. Also, vnc isn't a very secure connection, so be careful using it at internet cafe's.

Upvote 0
That is how I access my computer from work....but I don't know how to tunnel using the droid.

Yeah me either, and I haven't had a huge reason to follow it up (did I say I was lazy? I meant very lazy).

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure both the SSH app and the VNC app would need to have certain options for this to work, namely allowing loopback connections.

I *think* Android supports loopbacks but im not 100% sure. So at that point it would just be a matter for the SSH/VNC software supporting it (probably not too hard if the OS supports it).

Upvote 0
Im still a noob with networks and internet, well sorta, could anyone tell me what ethernet is and could you use it for a vnc connection with your mac and droid over different networks?

Ethernet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is a family of networking technologies. Ethernet is basically the wired connections that a lot of computers use to connect to networks (and the Internet).

You have to realize that wireless connections are slower than wired, for the most part, and that using VNC / RD (for Windows) / etc. is only going to be as good as the weakest link - usually the connection. If you use WiFi with the DROID, then signal strength and network congestion are 2 (but not the only 2) factors that will make your connection good or bad.

Setting up the connection is not too hard - having it work the way you want it to is a whole different ballgame.

Yeah me either, and I haven't had a huge reason to follow it up (did I say I was lazy? I meant very lazy).

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure both the SSH app and the VNC app would need to have certain options for this to work, namely allowing loopback connections.

I *think* Android supports loopbacks but im not 100% sure. So at that point it would just be a matter for the SSH/VNC software supporting it (probably not too hard if the OS supports it).

Hmm, interesting thought - I wonder if DROID *does* support loopback?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones