Anyone using Swype beta on stock 2.1Support

Last Updated:

1. momentoid

momentoid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was using Swype before the public beta was released. Registered, downloaded and installed Swype, public beta version.

It is not stable on my phone. As recommended by developers, I have deleted the app, the installer, and re-did the whole thing but it still does not work. Every time after I use the phone -- get a call or make a call -- Swype stops working. At the end of swyping a word, it just gives a visual and audio notification, like it used to when the license expired on the pre-beta version.

Any one having similar experience or successfully using Swype beta on Samsung Moment with stock Android 2.1?

Advertisement
  2. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

I am using it and it seems to work fine. I did have to reinstall it atleast once. Have you had a custom ROM on the phone previously and went back to stock?

momentoid likes this.
  3. EmoTonyB

EmoTonyB Well-Known Member

i had swype on stock 1.5 and 2.1. i also have it working now on rooted 2.1. i havent had any kind of problem with it ever, except a few times my beta version expired, but i never ahd a problem redling it and reinstalling it

momentoid likes this.
  4. momentoid

momentoid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you for your responses. I will continue to debug it. :rolleyes:

latinmaxima: No, the phone has always been on stock OS.

5. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

Well I am not sure then. I only had issues when I did a data backup of one ROM and switched to another and it gave me force closes saying it was not made for this device. I had to redownload and it worked fine again. If your getting it straight from swype you may have some other app affecting the keyboard that doesn't like sywpe even though I have run swype, the droid xkeyboard and ime keybaord with no issues. Good luck figuring this one out.

6. Iforgit

Iforgit Well-Known Member

I had the same issue. Downloaded 2.1 and used it on there, worked 1 time then would only light up. Rooted phone then reinstalled and did the exact same thing. So I was using for a couple of days just as regular keyboard, I almost always use hard keyboard anyway. Then I pressed the app installer in the app bin and it gave me the message that it was already installed or something. Then all of a sudden it started working, and has worked for the past couple weeks flawlessly...go figure. It's worth a shot if it keeps breaking down.

7. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

I've been using a swype that I got form a guy on SDK on my custom rom'd 2.1 and it works flawlessly. I'm not sure if it's a beta or not, but it hasn't tried to expire and it just works.

8. TexGriffin

TexGriffin New Member

I installed swype on a rooted moment but when I try to use it a message pops up saying the installed package does not match the screen size. What is the correct package I need to install to use swype?

9. GodCountryND

GodCountryND Well-Known Member

Anyone have an APK for me?

10. samusMAURIE

samusMAURIE Member

I've starting using Swype when I had stock 2.1 and continued to use it when I rooted and have used it over several roms.

Swype works perfectly except when you first boot the phone. After booting, you'll get the error described above where it lights up but doesn't swype, unless you use a task killer to kill it, then it will work fine. I had to kill the app first time app every time I booted my phone. - Workaround: use Startup Cleaner 2.0 to prevent Swype from starting on boot (I had previously tried Startup Manager but didn't work).

Whenever I flash a new rom that would require to wipe & restore my data, Swype will give you an error saying "you are using a version that is not configured for this device" and would be forced to reinstall using the Swype Installer (need to uninstall Swype first). - Workaround: use Titanium Backup for restoring your apps+data (tried MyBackup Pro but this didn't work)

***You do need root for all of these apps.***

11. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the correct version of swype can be found in this thread over at SDX.

Swype 1.56