• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone Using Swype? What Do You Think.

I like using Swype and feel like I could get pretty fast with it after a little practice.

My issue, is that once I set the input method to Swype, I woulld like an easier way to switch back to regular input. The reason is that I get mail from my work's secure exchange server and have to input a security key to unlock the phone. It is harder to do this accurately with Swype (I think). I have not been able to figure out how to change the input method once I am at the the unlock screen.

Anyone know how to have the keyboard reset to the default or how to get a specific input screen to show up for the unlock screen?

Upvote 0
I like using Swype and feel like I could get pretty fast with it after a little practice.

My issue, is that once I set the input method to Swype, I woulld like an easier way to switch back to regular input. The reason is that I get mail from my work's secure exchange server and have to input a security key to unlock the phone. It is harder to do this accurately with Swype (I think). I have not been able to figure out how to change the input method once I am at the the unlock screen.

Anyone know how to have the keyboard reset to the default or how to get a specific input screen to show up for the unlock screen?

if you long press the message box of the text message, it will give you the option of input method, select/press INPUT METHOD and choose your options.

Upvote 0
I have been using swype for a while now. I love it compared to texting on the keyboard. Its much smarter and works so much better for me.

My cousin, who has an incredible as well, has the same experience. The incredible was his first smartphone, and just got frustrated with typing. So I put swype on his system and it works great. Now he loves swyping over typing.

I will check out smart keyboard pro, but I can see why I love swype so much.

Upvote 0
I really loved swype until I had to go through the whole beta process and re install it on my dinc. Since then it seems to predict in a different language and comes up with some really weird suggestions that I cannot figure out. Here is an example:

"This is a test of swype on my droid incredible", which use to come out perfectly, now comes out as "Tua is a test of swype in by sous incredible"

I promise I am not doing anything differently and the prediction used to be absolutely perfect. Now I can't type simple words like "this" without getting "tua" as well as many other different incorrect predictions. It drives me nuts because I simply can't use swype because of all the corrections I have to make.

ANY IDEAS??

Upvote 0
if you long press the message box of the text message, it will give you the option of input method, select/press INPUT METHOD and choose your options.

Normally, that works great for most input boxes. When on the lock screen, however, the input box is waiting for a password and the long press does not open a sub-menu where you can choose a different input method.

Upvote 0
I really loved swype until I had to go through the whole beta process and re install it on my dinc. Since then it seems to predict in a different language and comes up with some really weird suggestions that I cannot figure out. Here is an example:

"This is a test of swype on my droid incredible", which use to come out perfectly, now comes out as "Tua is a test of swype in by sous incredible"

I promise I am not doing anything differently and the prediction used to be absolutely perfect. Now I can't type simple words like "this" without getting "tua" as well as many other different incorrect predictions. It drives me nuts because I simply can't use swype because of all the corrections I have to make.

ANY IDEAS??

Most problems with Handcent are the user fault, every time i SWYPE the word "this" like you mention... i get the word "this" spelled correctly.

PowellShake2
When i long press my message window i get the option to select input method, when i select it, i have a choice of either SWYPE or TOUCH.

I had a word that kept popping up every time i swype a certain word, so what i did... Example--lets use your problem with the word "tua".... swype the word "this" and when the first option word appears "tua" except it... and then double tap it in the message box which will highlight the word "tua"... once its highlighted tap the SWYPE KEY BOTTOM LEFT of keyboard... A window should open asking you if you want to remove that word from your dictionary... now when you swype the word this or misspell it, the option word "tua" will not appear.

Now i'm not trying to convince anyone to like or use SWYPE, but don't give up on it because of human error, if you get frustrated, its understandable that you just want to uninstall it and use something else, it took me a few times to get SWYPE set right, proving that all the problems were my fault.

Upvote 0
Tried that but after hitting the swype button, there is no option to delete the word. There are simply a myriad of other words including:

tuia
egida
ruota
tholos
ethos
riposa
ripida

but no "this". It's almost as if it's set to another language however I have checked and rechecked every setting and nothing is different. This is so effing frustrating.

Upvote 0
Tried that but after hitting the swype button, there is no option to delete the word. There are simply a myriad of other words including:

tuia
egida
ruota
tholos
ethos
riposa
ripida

but no "this". It's almost as if it's set to another language however I have checked and rechecked every setting and nothing is different. This is so effing frustrating.

Have you tried posting your problem at the Swype for Android beta forums? You might get much more useful information about your problem there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones