Anyone want to talk me out of rooting?

Last Updated:

1. dswalker

dswalker Member This Topic's Starter

I'm currently running stock 1.5. I'm seriously considering rooting my phone. I've got a decent bit of Linux experience, so I doubt I'll mess anything up too awful bad.

Any good reason to wait on the 2.1 OTA rather than root now? Has anyone rooted and wished they didn't?

I know most of the benefits, I'm wondering about the risk.

Advertisement
  2. cgh

cgh Well-Known Member

I'd go for it if I were you... It's pretty hard to screw up anyway. There aren't really a lot of reasons why you shouldn't root.

dswalker likes this.
  3. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

I don't think you'll find a single person who has rooted that wished they hadn't. You can always roll back to 1.5 if you change your mind down the road. There really isn't a single reason why you wouldn't root your phone. You get all the advantages of 2.1 and you get the advantages of having root access. Its a win-win situation which seemingly happens so rarely anymore these days.

dswalker likes this.
  4. eurotrash323

eurotrash323 Well-Known Member

There's no way I'd try and talk you out of it.

dswalker likes this.
  5. jfp2004

jfp2004 Active Member

I thought it currently wasn't possible to roll back to 1.5 using root? That the ROM had been taken offline or something like that. It was something mentioned in another thread.

dswalker likes this.
  6. alamoe

alamoe Well-Known Member

nope

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

dswalker likes this.
  7. droidkevlar

droidkevlar Well-Known Member

The creator has taken it off the sites he posted it on. But you might still be able to find it else where. But there is no reason you would want to go back to 1.5. There are plenty of very stable ROM's (GrdLocks root 2.1 if you like Sense and VanillaDroid by GrdLock if you want a vanilla ROM) available. Great thing is, you might be slow at the start, but then you wont be able to put your phone down. Esp if you said you have linux experience, you might make some stuff that helps out the community and yourself and make it even more addicting.

And even if you root, you can update to the OTA when available. (This is not confirmed but 99.9% you will be able to. And even if not, the devs would cook up a ROM with it included)

dswalker likes this.
  8. jlampson

jlampson Well-Known Member

Yeah, rooting has been awesome. I run VanillaDroid with Helix Launcher and I love it!

dswalker likes this.
  9. jxnrxy

jxnrxy Well-Known Member

don't do it!!!!!

just kidding :)...i would if i wasn't already upgraded to 2.1 leak

dswalker likes this.
  10. dswalker

Thanks guys!

11. jdeday

jdeday New Member

Well I am thinking about reverting back to 1.5. Primary reason is that there are many apps in the Market that are not available for download. A few other problems I have experience are that the OS will not automatically jump back onto my home wifi network after I return from an out of range location. I have to turn off wifi and back on and only then will it reconnect. The other issue is the All Programs view, you can change it from list to grid, I like the list view but when the phone is rebooted it returns to grid view (not a big deal but I didn't have this issue with 1.5)

12. LiverpoolsNo9

LiverpoolsNo9 Well-Known Member

You shouldnt do it unless you want a totally awesome phone, but who would want that?

13. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Try another rom to fix the issues you mention. Also you can download the apk files for the apps you purchased and have that until the ota update comes out which will re-enable the downloads for those apps that don't apprear now.

14. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download eris1.5rooted.zip

This file will roll back the os to 1.5 and keep root access. It allows OTA updates to come through. I don't know if the OTA update will unroot your phone (i think it probably will), but at least if you want to go back to 1.5 and you are rooted this will do it. Theres another image which will roll you back to an unrooted 1.5 as well but i don't have the link atm, i'll post it when i come across it again.

c00gz likes this.
  15. c00gz

c00gz Active Member

So to downgrade to 1.5, would it be the same steps as rooting to 2.1 (just with the different file, obviously)?

on a side note - any idea if the 50% signal issue is being resolved with updated ROMs or anything? Does rooting 2.1 also void my $8/month insurance?

I swore I wouldn't give in to the temptation of rooting to 2.1, but my resolve is diminishing by the second...

Thanks!

16. rentjr

rentjr Well-Known Member

Once you have root you should just be able to flash the 1.5 rom just like any other rom. I'm using the Aloysius v5 rom and it does not have the 50% time without signal bug, pics also show up in gmail.

17. dswalker

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm rooted and on 2.1. If I could just get my Google Contacts to sync, I'd be in good shape!

18. dracozny

dracozny Well-Known Member

if you are a complete computer noob who cannot navigate their way around a command prompt than you shouldn't attempt root