Anyone who's sick of the Triumph or VMGeneral

1. Banished Angel

Banished Angel Well-Known Member

The Nexus 4 was just announced:
    https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_16gb

1.5GHz quad core, 2GB RAM, 720p IPS screen, Android 4.2 Jelly Bean, and the fact that it's a Nexus device with no manufacturer overlay (not to mention frequent updates) sold me. The 8GB version is available for $300, while the 16GB version runs $350. I'm going to buy the unlocked 16GB version straight from Google and activate it on T-Mobile's prepaid service (Unlimited data, texting, and 100 minutes for $30 a month off contract). I hardly ever talk on my phone so 100 minutes is enough, but you can get unlimited calling, data, and texting for $50 a month on their pre-paid plan if you talk a lot.

As a previous Triumph owner I know how much of a pain it can be so I thought I'd give you all a heads up. This phone is absolute top of the line, and costs as much as the Triumph, which is ridiculous. Happy shopping!

Advertisement
    :
    TheBritton likes this.
  2. goshjosh

goshjosh Well-Known Member Contributor

Thanks! This actually doesn't sound like a bad plan. Could you link to this plan? I can't seem to find it.
  3. sweener

sweener Member

4. Verja

Verja Well-Known Member

Be aware of the 50$ plan

Unlimited*
    *First 100MB at up to 4G speeds

After that I'm sure like most of their plans it drops to 2G. Just something to be aware of.
  5. goshjosh

goshjosh Well-Known Member Contributor

6. aurora40

aurora40 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately TMo has a fairly big data gap from the $30 plan with 5GB of unthrottled data to the $60-70 ones with 2-5GB and unlimited minutes.

And unlike Virgin Mobile, where the throttled speed is about the same as the unthrottled speed, TMo's throttling is apparently very aggressive.
  7. Rcarnes91

Rcarnes91 Well-Known Member

you do know the new nexus is not 4g right??
    It will work on their hspa+ network though which is 50x faster then virgin
  8. shiv81

shiv81 Well-Known Member

Really tempted, but they need to add more minutes to the $30 plan.
  9. SeanErdrich

SeanErdrich Member

I was thinking about the same thing this morning and pricing it all out before work... I know I'm going to do it when I have the funds!

Side note: Just like AT&T, T-Mobile's HSPA+ network is referred to as 4G, so technically this is a 4G phone (of sorts), but not a 4G LTE phone. The speeds are still good, and the battery life you get instead should be worth it.
  10. Verja

Verja Well-Known Member

This is true. Having used HSPA+ it's just as good as LTE IMO. There are very few times where the seconds it could save are critical. LTE also costs more in the phone (more than double the price) and uses battery like it's going out of style. Not to mention LTE will also slow down if/when more people start using it. Congestion is bad for data.

It's really a great phone for a great price point. I'll be going to Straight Talk with this phone, and if for some reason that is terrible I'll be looking into Tmobile. Ah the joys of no contracts.
  11. Rcarnes91

Rcarnes91 Well-Known Member

if you need more minutes just get google voice with he speed you get from hspa+ you can use it no problems......and no more minute problems
  12. SeanErdrich

SeanErdrich Member

I've had issues using Google Voice for calling before, but the same general idea works for Skype as well. They have a monthly plan that's $2.99 for unlimited minutes. Combine that with the $30 plan on T-Mobile (Unlimited Text and Web), and it still winds up cheaper than the cheapest Virgin Mobile data plan, and is effectively unlimited.

[ T-Mobile Unlimited Text & Web ] + [ Skype Unlimited Monthly ] = $33 + tax = about $35.