• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone with an EVO try tethering vita PDANet?

just chatted with Sprint. Not sure if they know what they're talking about.

Here's the chat log:

4:12:49 PM : Rob Accomando: I have a question about HTC EVO
4:13:06 PM :
Tabitha G.: I will be glad to assist you.
4:13:28 PM :
Rob Accomando: Will there be a fee for Wireless tethering. And will there be a fee for tethering with USB?
4:13:36 PM :
Rob Accomando: so, 2 questions actually
4:13:59 PM :
Tabitha G.: Thank you for providing the details of your concern.
4:14:09 PM :
Tabitha G.: Let me check this for you.
4:14:13 PM :
Rob Accomando: ok
4:15:54 PM :
Tabitha G.: Please hold for a few moments.
4:16:00 PM :
Rob Accomando: ok
4:20:39 PM :
Tabitha G.: Tethering is an option available through the Hot-spot option available on the phone. The mobile hot-spot on the phone will be $29.99.
4:21:11 PM :
Rob Accomando: does that mean wired tethering with the USB is also $29?
4:21:39 PM :
Rob Accomando: I knew the wifi hotspot was $29 but wasn't sure about wired connection
4:21:49 PM :
Tabitha G.: Wired tethering facility using an USB cable is not available.

wtf? /confused

Upvote 0
interesting read. thought i'd share. didnt see this posted anywhere.

http://htcdev.net/topic/24830-sprin...-wi-fi-mobile-hotspot-capability-in-22-froyo/

When Sprint said last week that the upcoming EVO 4G phone would only offer Wi-Fi mobile hotspot capability for an additional $29 per month, some readers asked me if Sprint would still allow its customers to use the free third-party PDAnet app.

PDAnet isn't a Wi-Fi hotspot. It lets you tether your phone to one laptop or other device via Bluetooth or USB cable. Still, it's free tethering.

I was also intrigued by the news that the next version of Android, version 2.2, codenamed 'Froyo,' will include both USB tethering and the free Wi-Fi hotspot capability that Sprint wants to charge for.

If Sprint wants to charge 30 bucks a month for this service, are they really going to let Google make it available for free?

So I asked Crystal Davis, my official contact at Sprint, about both those issues, and it sounds like good news all around for EVO buyers:

There's a difference between tethering (which the PDAnet app provides) and Mobile Hotspot (which HTC EVO 4G provides without needing to download an app). The PDAnet app requires a connection with either a USB cable or Bluetooth, so it can only provide connectivity for one device at a time. Therefore, the app wouldn't be a solution for someone who wants connectivity for multiple devices at once. In contrast, the 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot provides WiFi connectivity, so it can support multiple devices (up to 8) at once, without a need for a USB or Bluetooth connection.
In regards to Froyo 2.2, it has not been released yet, so we can['t] make any assessments on that particular application. Sprint has always communicated to its customers that it does not block apps. We want our customers to be able to get access to what they want and enjoy a true Web experience on their mobile device, although we cannot guarantee the performance a customer will experience with third-party applications.

So it sounds like PDAnet will definitely be allowed.

It also seems like Sprint doesn't want to get in the way of the mobile hotspot functionality in Froyo, so there's reason to be optimistic. Still, allowing that functionality would instantly euthanize Sprint's own $29 Wi-Fi service, so Sprint will either have to take a financial hit or a PR hit on this one, and I'm not sure which they'll pick.

Froyo is scheduled to be released sometime this week, but the EVO doesn't launch until June 4. So I followed up with Sprint and asked if there's a chance the device -- currently listed as including Android 2.1, aka 'Eclair' -- could end up shipping with Froyo pre-installed.

Source (dallas news)

Reactions: JerseyJules
Upvote 0
interesting read. thought i'd share. didnt see this posted anywhere.

Sprint will allow #PDAnet tethering on HTC EVO, suggests it will also allow built-in Wi-Fi mobile hotspot capability in 2.2 #Froyo - HTC Developers

When Sprint said last week that the upcoming EVO 4G phone would only offer Wi-Fi mobile hotspot capability for an additional $29 per month, some readers asked me if Sprint would still allow its customers to use the free third-party PDAnet app.

PDAnet isn't a Wi-Fi hotspot. It lets you tether your phone to one laptop or other device via Bluetooth or USB cable. Still, it's free tethering.

I was also intrigued by the news that the next version of Android, version 2.2, codenamed 'Froyo,' will include both USB tethering and the free Wi-Fi hotspot capability that Sprint wants to charge for.

If Sprint wants to charge 30 bucks a month for this service, are they really going to let Google make it available for free?

So I asked Crystal Davis, my official contact at Sprint, about both those issues, and it sounds like good news all around for EVO buyers:

There's a difference between tethering (which the PDAnet app provides) and Mobile Hotspot (which HTC EVO 4G provides without needing to download an app). The PDAnet app requires a connection with either a USB cable or Bluetooth, so it can only provide connectivity for one device at a time. Therefore, the app wouldn't be a solution for someone who wants connectivity for multiple devices at once. In contrast, the 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot provides WiFi connectivity, so it can support multiple devices (up to 8) at once, without a need for a USB or Bluetooth connection.
In regards to Froyo 2.2, it has not been released yet, so we can['t] make any assessments on that particular application. Sprint has always communicated to its customers that it does not block apps. We want our customers to be able to get access to what they want and enjoy a true Web experience on their mobile device, although we cannot guarantee the performance a customer will experience with third-party applications.

So it sounds like PDAnet will definitely be allowed.

It also seems like Sprint doesn't want to get in the way of the mobile hotspot functionality in Froyo, so there's reason to be optimistic. Still, allowing that functionality would instantly euthanize Sprint's own $29 Wi-Fi service, so Sprint will either have to take a financial hit or a PR hit on this one, and I'm not sure which they'll pick.

Froyo is scheduled to be released sometime this week, but the EVO doesn't launch until June 4. So I followed up with Sprint and asked if there's a chance the device -- currently listed as including Android 2.1, aka 'Eclair' -- could end up shipping with Froyo pre-installed.

Source (dallas news)

I saw on one of the other threads, that Sprint has put out a play book for just this subject, and they are conceding that yes you can tether via 3rd party, even wirelessly via root, they just stress that their option is "bullet proof" connection for up to 8 wifi devices.

basically saying, go ahead but ours is better, and we told you so if you get hacked ...

so Good times for us !

*** EDIT***
it wasnt a thread it was an article on the main page

http://phandroid.com/2010/05/28/hotspot-users-on-the-evo-can-use-the-feature-free-in-june-sprint-unable-to-block-3rd-party-solutions/

Reactions: chasers
Upvote 0
I'd like to add some comments from another EVO 4G owner: I am traveling in Europe right now, and connection here is spotty as hell.

We were promised WiFi but what we have my Win7 laptop isn't picking up - just says there was some error. EVO 4G to the rescue though - it connects to the WiFi just fine.

Then I tried to USB tether using that native method that you get when hooking up a USB cable. However, Win7 x64 doesn't recognize the EVO in that mode (it does in SD sharing), and even installing HTC Sync didn't help.

Then I tried EasyTether, which just crashes.

However, PDANet saved my a$$ here. I am currently on my laptop BT tethered to PDANet which is using WiFi on the phone.

I absolutely love the EVO - best phone I'd ever owned and finally frustration free snappiness-wise.

My first impressions and your questions answered here: HTC EVO 4G First Impressions And A Mini Hands-On Review. Post Your Questions You Want Answered [Post Google I/O Coverage]

Sprint HotSpot app hands-on: We Go Hands-On With The Sprint Mobile Hotspot App On HTC EVO 4G [Post Google I/O Coverage]

Upvote 0
We were promised WiFi but what we have my Win7 laptop isn't picking up - just says there was some error. EVO 4G to the rescue though - it connects to the WiFi just fine.

Then I tried to USB tether using that native method that you get when hooking up a USB cable. However, Win7 x64 doesn't recognize the EVO in that mode (it does in SD sharing), and even installing HTC Sync didn't help.

Then I tried EasyTether, which just crashes.

However, PDANet saved my a$$ here. I am currently on my laptop BT tethered to PDANet which is using WiFi on the phone.

Wait, so you're connecting the Evo to WIFI, then trying to tether through that?

If so... interesting! Hmmm... that's a permutation I had not considered. I would speculate that EasyTether and HTC's app are geared to only use 3G/4G, whereas PDANet doesn't care and will harness your Wifi just fine.

For the record, I ran all of my tests with Win 7/64 as well, and all three apps worked as I discussed elsewhere.

Upvote 0
Wait, so you're connecting the Evo to WIFI, then trying to tether through that?

If so... interesting! Hmmm... that's a permutation I had not considered. I would speculate that EasyTether and HTC's app are geared to only use 3G/4G, whereas PDANet doesn't care and will harness your Wifi just fine.

For the record, I ran all of my tests with Win 7/64 as well, and all three apps worked as I discussed elsewhere.

That is exactly what I'm saying, and to criccio, yes, it is, as that's exactly how I'm typing this right now. PDANet shares WiFi no problem, they even state it in their FAQ: PdaNet for Android FAQ

Does PdaNet supports WiFi? If you want to connect your Android phone to a WiFi network then share the the Internet with your computer, that is totally supported. In this case the phone and computer are connected using USB or Bluetooth.
However if you want to connect your computer to your phone using (ad-hoc) WiFi, then this will require hacking the Android system for root access. For that reason we do not enable this feature in the Android version of PdaNet.
In fact, this is the only way I got my laptop to connect at all - installing PDANet with EVO 4G hooked up failed and HTC Sync didn't provide my Win7 x64 with drivers for native EVO USB tethering.

Edit: installing HTC Sync the second time added the right drivers and I was able to finally use USB tether. However, I found it unstable for some reason. In fact, the USB tether in PDANet and EasyTether were also unstable but the BT tether is working great. The only thing is, if you try to load too many things, it pretty much locks up the EVO, as it's using too much CPU.

Reactions: Bek
Upvote 0
Please confirm your statements before posting. You're incorrect. PDAnet will log onto wifi and you can tether off of that.
Which is how I was able to see the forums when I was in Europe a few weeks ago. If it wasn't for pdanet on my Hero connected to my laptop I would have been lost without my AF fix. lol

TS

Reactions: chasers
Upvote 0
Fascinating - that's an interesting workaround. I'll have to find some time later today to experiment with that further.

I'm finally out of the crappy apartment with no Internet and a tiny bit of WiFi next to the window, so I don't have to use the WiFi->BT hack anymore but I must say it saved my ass.

None of the USB tether options were stable, which is quite shocking, but BT held up quite well. The only thing was that PDANet almost killed the phone and actually forced it to restart one time because of the CPU load. Even the EVO would freeze when I was loading a few sites simultaneously.

Upvote 0
If you have a laptop running Windows 7, you can connect to the EVO with PDANet, then download Connectify, which turns your Windows 7 laptop into a mobile hotspot. I've used it on my Incredible, and it works very well.

Connectify - Turn your Windows 7 laptop into a Wi-Fi Hotspot

Brilliant - that's exactly what I found I needed in the 2nd apartment in France I'm renting during my visit - now I have a wired connection, so the laptop has Internet but the EVO didn't.

Connectify-me rocks!

Upvote 0
I am wondering why you guys are interested in PDAnet. Evo comes with HTC's "Internet Sharing" baked into Sense UI. When you connect the phone to a computer, you can do wired tethering instantly, without paying extra or running another app.

Any advantages to PDAnet?

Well hopefully the default HTC Internet Sharing thing is Mac compatible. I know that PDAnet works on Mac too, but I'll just have to wait until Friday to see for myself.:(

Upvote 0
Well hopefully the default HTC Internet Sharing thing is Mac compatible. I know that PDAnet works on Mac too, but I'll just have to wait until Friday to see for myself.:(
I keep getting conflicting reports about Mac compatibility. Some people say it works on Windows, Mac, and Linux. While others are saying that it needs the driver installed with HTC Sync, which is Windows only. While yet others say the proper driver is already built into Mac and Linux. I'll be really happy if native tethering works on Mac.

Upvote 0
I keep getting conflicting reports about Mac compatibility. Some people say it works on Windows, Mac, and Linux. While others are saying that it needs the driver installed with HTC Sync, which is Windows only. While yet others say the proper driver is already built into Mac and Linux. I'll be really happy if native tethering works on Mac.

It works out of box on Ubuntu linux. It is detected as usb0.

Out of the box, Windows 7 fails to install appropriate drivers by itself when I plug in the Evo. Once I installed HTC Sync, wired tether is a plug and go experience.

I don't have a Mac, but considering that it more closely resembles Linux/Unix, I'm going to guess that it will be detected automatically. Though I don't know for sure.

Upvote 0
It works out of box on Ubuntu linux. It is detected as usb0.

Out of the box, Windows 7 fails to install appropriate drivers by itself when I plug in the Evo. Once I installed HTC Sync, wired tether is a plug and go experience.

I don't have a Mac, but considering that it more closely resembles Linux/Unix, I'm going to guess that it will be detected automatically. Though I don't know for sure.

Wait, are you saying Win 7 won't even detect the Evo as a flash drive until you install HTC Sync? Or just saying it won't let you tether until you install HTC Sync (but it does detect it as a flash drive)?

Someone else said Windows does detect it as a flash drive (and then you can install HTC Sync from the storage card) but I don't know if that was Win 7 or not...

Upvote 0
Wait, are you saying Win 7 won't even detect the Evo as a flash drive until you install HTC Sync? Or just saying it won't let you tether until you install HTC Sync (but it does detect it as a flash drive)?

Someone else said Windows does detect it as a flash drive (and then you can install HTC Sync from the storage card) but I don't know if that was Win 7 or not...

This thread is about tethering, so I meant that if you plug the Evo in, select Internet Sharing on the Evo, Windows 7 will not use the Evo's data connection out of the box.

However if you select Disk drive in the Evo, Windows 7 will detect the mass storage device.

Reactions: BlackDynamite
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones