Anyone with an extended battery experience this issue?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. jackdubl

jackdubl Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I use Battery Time Lite to keep track of my battery life as it gives you the actual battery percentage instead of every 10%. When I put an extended battery in the phone and charge it to full(and get the green light indicator), it almost instantly goes down to 95% or 94% after I unplug it. I watch it drop from 100% to 94% over the course of about three minutes. If I wait a few extra minutes, then plug it back in, sometimes I can get it to where it will stay at the full level for a normal period of time, sometimes it will still drop some. This has happened with both the HTC 1500Mah battery and the Amzer 1800Mah battery. It seems to me that the phone is tuned only for charging the stock 1300Mah battery, and therefore doesn't fully charge the extended batteries because the phone thinks it's full once 1300Mah is charged. Was wondering if anyone else who uses extended batteries has noticed this problem?

Advertisement
  2. jasonb1985

jasonb1985 Well-Known Member

this is a VERY well known issue. the phone does not charge any battery properly. it's a software bug. it seems to me that the calibration is simply off.

if i charge my batteries using the phone they (they meaning all 3 of my batteries) all drop down to the mid to low 90's within minutes. if i use my external battery charger to charge the batteries my phone will show 100% for upwards of 8 to 12 hours of standby. to me it sounds like the calibration is off.

3. CarbineGuy

CarbineGuy Well-Known Member

Are they planning on fixing this in the future?

4. thirtyfour41

thirtyfour41 Well-Known Member

I have the same problem, man. Even with the stock battery. I use the Battery Left widget and when I first put the charged battery in or take the phone off the charger, it says 100% and within 10-15 minutes, I'm at 90%. I haven't really noticed it making a huge difference, though. I still get about 14-16 hours of moderate use out of my 1750 battery, and I can usually make it to a charger at some point before it dies. I'm totally fine with the 1750 battery, too. I've seen the Eris case with the 3500 battery and backing and it's just too freaking big. One of the reasons I like my phone so much is that it's slim and easily fits in my pocket. I'll deal with the shorter battery life just to be able to keep my phone looking the same.

And speaking of calibration, how can we be sure the software is calibrated correctly? My system and estimated % left is always a bit off of each other, about 3-4%. Not that it's a big deal, but it'd be nice to know exactly (give or take a percent) how much battery is left. I thought the widgets had calibration of their own built in.

5. DustinF00

DustinF00 Well-Known Member

Charge it an external charger or after the phone goes green (while ON) turn the phone OFF and let it charge another 15-30 minutes with the phone off, you'll see the battery gets almost fully charged this way - as opposed to not fully charged when the phone is on.

6. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Known issue all across the boards. I don't think it's software or a calibration issue. I believe that it was done to prevent the phone from exploding like the iPhones and iAnythings do. (Or was that a Dell laptop?) Anyway, by charging to like 90% they might prevent an overheat while sitting on your desk at night next to a tissue and bursting into flames and having you run out the door naked and suing them.

7. Ryobi

Ryobi Banned

Whatever the reason, I wish it would be fixed. It's freaking annoying.

8. jackdubl

jackdubl Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I called HTC about it and they said the phone only estimates when the battery is full while charging. Once you unplug it the phone recalibrates the estimated battery life. The tech said it appears the phone was calibrated to estimate the charge on the stock 1300Mah battery, so every extended battery will have this problem. Very annoying. Makes me wonder if I'm just better off with two 1300Mah batteries as opposed to two 1500Mah that don't fully charge. The battery cover fits better with the 1300 in there.

9. thirtyfour41

thirtyfour41 Well-Known Member

battery cover fits perfectly for me with 1750 battery. what kind of 1500 battery do you have that the cover doesn't fit right?

10. Ryobi

Ryobi Banned

Its been so long since I used the stock battery in my phone. R U saying or R they saying that this mysterious drop doesn't happen with the 1300?

11. teufeltexan

teufeltexan Well-Known Member

It was always the case with my stock 1300 battery - First 10% or so plummeted, then it leveled out...

I've always attributed it to the charging characteristics of a LiIon coupled with the charging algorithm/battery reporting software employed in the Incredible. Non-issue for the most part, as it's not "robbing" me of actual power - it's simply reconciling the accurate state of the battery with the visual data transmitted to the user....

12. DustinF00

DustinF00 Well-Known Member

I just wanted to update this - testing on the SEIDIO charger - the charger stopped charging the battery and when it was placed into the incredible and plugged in (but not powered ON) the phone decided to charge it for another 20 mins.

This is strange - really really odd.

13. armoredsaint

armoredsaint Well-Known Member

what about the OEM HTC 2150 mah battery?

14. kriskmk

kriskmk Well-Known Member

charge the phone after powering it off.. that will help