Anyone with nexus 5 on t-mobile in DFW- how's service?General

Last Updated:

1. rimidalvr1966

rimidalvr1966 Member

Just got my new nexus 5. Still with Sprint, but planing to switch to T-Mobile in a week or so. Want to know how is T-Mobile service in DFW on this phone. Or should I switch to ATT?

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

With that same phone? Your choice is Sprint or put the phone in a drawer. IF you want to use AT&T or T-Mobile you'll have to buy a new phone. Sprint is CDMA, AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM. It's like trying to watch TV on a shovel - the technology is totally different.
  3. rimidalvr1966

rimidalvr1966 Member

Sorry, what was your point? I asked if any one have any issues with nexus 5 on T-Mobile in DFW.
    P.S. Just for clarifications - nexus 5 is not active on any network yet. I just got it.
  4. jj14x

jj14x Guides Guide

Umm - that is not true with the Nexus 5.
    Nexus 5 from the play store will work on just fine on Sprint, and on T-mo/AT&T in the US (not at the same time of course)

Thanks Google for the TV Tuner and LCD screen on this magnificent shovel.
    Gatman likes this.
  5. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Indeed, Nexus 5 will work on AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, or any MVNO of theirs that let's you bring your own device. Only Verizon and other smaller cdma carriers like US Cellular, Cricket, etc are excluded from the fun.
  6. jj14x

jj14x Guides Guide

Just a little something to add to this - even if you activate your Nexus 5 from play store onto Sprint network, you can still install a SIM card for T-mo and it will just switch over to that instead. And you can then take the T-mo SIM out, and install the Sprint SIM back, and it will switch back to Sprint.

(I tried it today just to verify that my phone was truly unlocked) :)
  7. rhray

rhray Well-Known Member

For what it is worth, I'm on Metro riding T-Mobile's network (GSM and not CDMA) and it has been great. My job takes me to different parts of town all the time and the only trouble I've had with service is on the 4th floor down in our underground parking garage.
    rimidalvr1966 likes this.
  8. rimidalvr1966

rimidalvr1966 Member

Do you use nexus 5 on Metro? If so, it is very good news. Thanks.