Anyone with Nov purchased droid get a new battery yet?

Last Updated:

1. boatman

boatman Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have noticed that my droid for the past week or so can't make it a whole day on a single charge. I use it for maybe 20 min of phone, it checks k9 email every 5 min, and i read rss posts with newsroom about 3x a day for 5 min.

I am wondering if the lifespan of the battery is over, I know there are only so many charges the battery takes before its gives it up. It is as 7 months, which I would consider short, but can't figure out why it makes it maybe 16 hrs on a charge, with this same useage pattern, it would easily go 24-30 hrs a few months ago.

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Running the same battery, am rooted, have been overclocking since about day 2 of being rooted (sometime in Jan, IIRC) and my battery lasts just as long now as it did when I first rooted and started OCing.

I can't honestly say it lasts as long as when I first bought it, b/c before I OCd it gave me better performance - I actually went for 3 days without a recharge once. (and only once).

3. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

The only thing it could hurt to try a new battery.... is your wallet.

Keep in mind, tho, that your battery life and someone else's can't be easily compared. There are MANY variables. One thing that can eat your battery quick is if you are in an area that gets weak cell reception. 45 minutes of calling at home once ate 70% of my battery, before I got the base station thing from VZW.

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Another thing that can eat it is the number of apps that use networking services.

In the beginning, I only had my GMail account. Then I added MySpace and FaceBook. Then twitter. Then my other 2 GMail accounts....

Then came IM clients (for a variety of IM protocols), Latitude, enabling location-based tweeting in Twitter, etc.

So, even without rooting an OCing, my DROID battery life will have significantly shortened b/c of the number of apps that I have running all the time.

The only real test you can have is to restore a ROM that you made a b/u of 6 months ago and run it exactly the same as you did 6 months ago - that would be as close to a control as you could get in testing battery life.

5. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

This.

6. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

With the new ultra low voltage kernels my battery life is longer than it's ever been. I wish there was a way to see how many power cycles you'd put it through (like you can with a macbook)

7. El Blacksheep

El Blacksheep Well-Known Member

same. although I think JuiceDefender, Bugless Beast and certain SetCPU profiles are helping with that.

8. TiberiusX

TiberiusX Member

I'm still running on my original battery but my wife's droid battery was having the same issues as the OP's. I told her to take it to Verizon, when she did they replaced the battery under the manufactures warranty. Now she is back to normal and happy again. Try taking it back to Verizon and get a new battery through them.:D

9. mazz0310

mazz0310 Well-Known Member

My battery actually lasts longer than when I first got it in November. I'm very happy with it. I believe rooting has helped, certain ROMs have better battery life, and being able to clock the CPU down when needed.

10. gregg098

gregg098 Active Member

My battery life was very very short at the beginning (in Nov) then it increased pretty significantly over the first week. While I dont think its at that same level now, its pretty close. I did pick up another official Motorola battery from Amazon last week for $10 though. Wouldnt hurt to have a spare.

11. boatman

boatman Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Last nite when the BB game started, I had 30%. When I got home, and I did not use the phone, it was dead.

Right now at 230, my phone has been off the charger for 6 hours. Battery down to 70% with
    a. Display at 20% 19min, on auto brightness
    b. cell stnadby 20%, time on 11hr, (which is odd since only off the charger for 6 hours, so it must include some time from when I plugged in last nite), time without a signal 50%
    c. voice calls, 19%, 6min?! can this be that just 6min has used 20% of the 30% (or 6% total battery)
    d. k9 mail is 17%, CPU toal is 13min, it checks every 5min
    e. phone idle 13%, 5h
    f. android system 7%

Do these seem correct? Don't know if the battery is going, or its some app. I really haven't changed anything in many months, just updated programs..

12. mrthundercleese

mrthundercleese Well-Known Member

With the jdfg 1ghz kernel, cyanogen, and setcpu im getting the best battery life ever.

Right now I have the blinky red light with:
    10.5hrs total
    3hrs of awake time
    2.5hrs of screen on time
    35mins of talk time

Without all that phone time (normally its less than 10mins a day) i can easily get to 20hrs before the red light blinks.

You should think about ncreasing that email poll to 15 or 30 mins. Thatll help.

Edit: also that 50% cell standby is not good for battery life. In an area with low signal?

13. scottd34

scottd34 Member

Got my droid on launch day and the battery is holding up just fine.

14. overcaffein8d

overcaffein8d Well-Known Member

and really, an OEM battery at this point is not the difference between poverty and wealth.

15. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Then you won't mind sending me a battery. Thanks bud!!! :D (I'll PM you my shipping address.)

16. overcaffein8d

overcaffein8d Well-Known Member

haha if i were wealthy i would. unfortunately for me i'd be going from broke to more broke :/