Anyone work at bestbuy?

Last Updated:

1. Vulcan

Vulcan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

im thinking about working at best buy anyone have past-current experiences there? and if your wondering what one hopefully near the allen/plano Texas area

Advertisement
  2. Fonseca

Fonseca Well-Known Member

What department?

3. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

Are you interested in the vacant position left by the guy who made the iPhone/Evo video? ;)

4. Vulcan

? maybe and in the mobile department if i can if not in the computer area i am great with both and etc

5. Fonseca

Get prepared to be barraged about selling Black Tie Protection.

6. Genetic_Bloom

Genetic_Bloom Well-Known Member

I've never worked at Best Buy but I assume it's like most corporate giants in the fact that they pretend to care about their customers but they really just care about taking their cash. Like Fonseca said you need to be ready to push their in-store insurance because it's the highest profit margin for them.

As with most of these stores however, it really depends on who you're working with. Some managers and other coworkers are completely brainwashed by the corporate machine and won't cut you any slack in pushing the agenda but others can be great and will respect you for who you are and the input you bring to the company.

7. Vulcan

well everyone that i know there is funny 9-11usd an hour meh sounds fair and yes bestbuy does fail and nope the manager at our best buy is epic the store is always clean shes just in the mobile department usually or the customer service. and hey free coffee!

8. Genetic_Bloom

Genetic_Bloom Well-Known Member

Any job in the world will give you free coffee though, lol.

9. Vulcan

0 rly even Seattle's best coffee? meh idk they dont do much id be in the mobile department and i've seen workers just "take" a energy drink rofl but i wouldn't and overall it seems epic

10. Fonseca

If they catch you just "taking" energy drinks, that is a fireable offense. It is considered theft. You will be expected to keep track of all sales you have made that day and wether they walked out with the BTP or not.

11. Vulcan

ah so i could get that chick fired 0.0 shes not nice anyways lol

12. Fonseca

Yeah probably, they will go over it in training. Also, if you wear a coat, do not put it on until you leave the store (they pad it down to make sure you do not have anything).

13. Vehtemas

Vehtemas Well-Known Member

I work for the Geek Squad.

I find it to be one of the best jobs and one of the worst jobs depending on who my clients for the day are.

My Co-Workers can also be the best and the worst depending on who they get as customers.

As with any job, it could be the best or the worst depending on who you work with and who comes in to shop from you.

You could get an easy day where it is fun and enjoyable and only get awesome customers, or you could get a horrible day with nothing but pain in the ass people who bitch about not getting their computer fixed for free when they bought it 5 years ago *yes that excuse WAS made*.

Regardless, it is what you make it, no one here can tell you if you will like it, although overall I find my job fun and entertaining and it pays better than most jobs of equal caliber.

*This post is not the opinion of Best Buy or Geek Squad and is my own personal opinion of my employment.*

^ Gotta love the disclaimers hahaha. But to be fair, if someone worked for me I wouldn't want them parading around telling people crap and letting them think it was my opinion 0.o

14. Vulcan

i might work at geek squad too not sure right now

15. byteware

byteware Well-Known Member

I would say, look for work at Buy More instead. They always have super hot chicks walking in. They even date some of the employees!

Plus if there's a robbery or terrorist attack, there's usually at least one super secret agent to take care of the situation...

Yep, Buy More is absolutely superior to Best Buy.

Yvonne Strahovsky rocks.

16. Vulcan

Yup i watch chuck too i literally went to orange orange yesterday

17. (Q'.')-o

(Q'.')-o Member

I worked for GeekSquad and Computers for two years, if you have any questions you can PM me.

18. Vulcan

thank you i will

19. Vehtemas

Vehtemas Well-Known Member

Where did you work? I worked in Computers for 9 months and Geek Squad for the past 2 years now.

20. jimmydee

jimmydee Active Member

I worked for Best Buy for about a year in the Geek Squad. They hired me as technician which I have been a computer tech. for 25 years now but there biggest thing is selling services. So you are really a salesmen not a tech. Everything you do is based on how much you sell in services. They actually have charts up in the department where they log yours sales. I worked at the Best Buy in Plano off of 75. I am now doing onsite computer repairs for most of the school districts in the DFW area. Believe me I am much happier in what I'm doing now then when I was at Best Buy. I'm a tech. not a salesmen.

21. Vulcan

ever been to allen isd?

22. Rota

Rota Well-Known Member

You'll get fired if you make a Youtube video about the Evo being better than an iPhone.

23. byteware

byteware Well-Known Member

I wonder if Apple pressured Best Buy to fire that employee. Threatened to pull the iPhone from their shelves?

24. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

BestBuy have started opening stores in the UK and I went to my local one today. There I saw a sales guy explaining to a customer why the HTC Desire was better than the iPhone 4. Excellent - actual tech-savvy people working at an electronics store! Curry's and Comet take note!

I had a good long drool at all the awesome gadget goodness on display - and all to play with too rather than having to mess around with dummies. :D