anyone worried about Sprint abandoning WiMax?

Last Updated:

1. tranceFusion

tranceFusion Well-Known Member

2. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

even if they do by the time that decision is made nobody will have the EVO anymore so don't worry

and FYI WiMax is going NO WHERE, it is a backhaul... LTE is NOT a backhaul, WiMax is replacing copper backhaul's as the standard and you can't just take away / shutdown a backhaul, so you will still have wimax, don't worry :)
  3. Clock

Clock Well-Known Member

Nah, not really. If Sprint switches over to LTE I'm sure there will be a reasonably long enough transition period where both WiMax and LTE are operating. I doubt Sprint will shut down WiMax completely in favor of an LTE network during the EVO's lifetime.
  4. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

Not worried.
  5. momoceio

momoceio Well-Known Member

Even if they do switch to LTE, which is done via a software update to their's always possible that the radio in the EVO can also run on LTE. I'm not sure of the exact radio they used in the phone though.
  6. katmandoo122

katmandoo122 Well-Known Member

People have (had?) been worried about the big V and Sprint abandoning the inferior CDMA tech for years. People worried about Beta vs. VHS. Adoption = survival. If WiMax gets users, it will stay alive and grow. If Sprint continues to hemorrage users, nothing will save WIMAX or Sprint.

My bet is that it will do OK.
  7. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

Nope. The Wimax/LTE thing is a false dichotomy. Wimax will be all over the place for years to come. Just because lots of folks seem to be spinning this as GSM/CDMA or BR/HDDVD or Betamax/VHS doesn't make it the case.
  8. tranceFusion

tranceFusion Well-Known Member

Thanks for the supporting evidence..
  9. neodorian

Read the main Wimax/4G thread. This has been discussed thoroughly over the past month and I didn't feel like creating yet another redundant thread or post. If I wanted to do that I would have made another thread about the $10 premium data fee.

Edit: sorry to come off snarky, but it really has been discussed a lot. Check out posts by eieio, RiverOfIce and others in the main 4g thread for more info than I can give at the moment.
  10. Aridon

Aridon Well-Known Member

Even if they switch, any such change will be past the evo's life cycle for most of us. Regardless most of what I have read says switching is a matter of software not hardware so that implies new firmware could get the evo up and running again. one good thing as sprint premiere you don't have to worry about waiting two years to upgrade handsets
  11. adseguy

adseguy Well-Known Member

You ASSume everyone reads these forums as much as you. 700+ posts means you know ur stuff around here. Its easier to post the link that can help everyone who doesn't know:cool:
  12. tkrechel

tkrechel Well-Known Member

It just as easy for you to search as it is for him to post a link
  13. neodorian

It's a sticky at the top of this forum called " Official 4G/WiMax: what is it, why do we want it "

How much more obvious can we get? ;) Anyway I said sorry about the snark and I know that "use the search" is a dick response. If it weren't a prominent sticky I would have dug up the link for you.

...also my post count is entirely due to having too much spare time and BS-ing in the forums a lot. Doesn't make me any more knowledgeable than any lurker who has read all of the main threads.
  14. misterzeno

misterzeno Well-Known Member

Nope not worried one single bit
  15. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

This is about as probable as AT&T dropping all iPhones.
  16. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

CDMA is actually superior to GSM lol.. How convienent, as I just made a post on just this.

It is in this thread:

No, I am not worried.
  17. BenW

BenW Member

Just got this in an email newsfeed. All the Sprint board members have resigned from Clearwire. If the story is accurate, it certainly seems to bode ill for the future of the current 4G infrastructure.

It doesn't matter to me which 4G I use, other than I really want to keep my Evo for a few years. I would guess a switch to LTE would take at least a couple of years though.

WiMax is now likely to die -- thank goodness! | Mobilize - InfoWorld
  18. calvinrw

calvinrw Well-Known Member

So what does this do to the HTC Evo?
  19. t1jordan

t1jordan Well-Known Member

Good Question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  20. BenW

BenW Member

I would think we'd be okay for a while. It wouldn't make business sense for Sprint to simply shut off WiMax and move directly to LTE. They'll probably run both for a while and then do a slow phase out.
  21. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

remember sprint still is running the boat anchor iDEN. the evo is now a legacy device--and a pioneer--kind of like the IBM Simon phone (in my opinion the first true mobile PDA) i had back in 1992.

yes wimax will be here for a good while.. you will have moved onto another device well before wimax is shut off.
  22. daddyd302

daddyd302 Well-Known Member

Sprint still has alot of stocks in Clearwire. Something about this isn't making sense. I'm guessing either Clearwire is in trouble or the government is investigating and seeing this as a monopoly.
  23. eieio

eieio Well-Known Member

They are simply removing themselves from the picture so that Clear will have the ability to source new investors.

This will also allow Clear to decide how they want to resell their services and to whom..

If you where Tmobile would you invest in clear with your competitor have a vote on what happens to the company?

It is a matter of anti-trust issues as well
  24. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member

No that's not it. Sprint has already stated that they're not willing to give Clear anymore cash. They could care less if Tmob wants to pay to jump on the band wagon.

I think Sprint is trying to crash Clears stock so they can buy them out (have you seen the price action on the stock this week).

CRAZYISH Well-Known Member

i wish i was a smart cookie