• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Anyone's alarm not going off?

I also had a problem with the alarm, and haven't used the task killer at all. Long story short, I used the original three alarms for three different things. Alarm 1 was M-F 6:00am for work. Alarm 2 was set to wake me at 4:30am S-Su to drive my son to work on the weekends. Alarm 3 was set at 8:30 am S-Su to wake me up after taking my son to work and coming home to go back to sleep, then needing to go pick him back up after work on the weekends. I bought the phone last Thursday and the alarm worked Friday and Saturday, come Sunday it didn't work. I deleted the alarms, re-added them and they are working again. No sure why this happened, again I don't ues a task killer.

Upvote 0
there are 3 alarms well alarm 1 wouldn't go off so i just switched to alarm 2 and changed it to the appropriate time and it worked. not sure why this worked, maybe i did use a task killer and killed it. i'm gonna lay off killing tasks however i do like the called system monitor or system something it lets me see how much memory processes are using and the clock speed my cpu is running at.

Where do you see your cpu speed?

Upvote 0
I wish I had seen this forum Sunday night, I forgot to uncheck my alarm, I tried the default 1 Monday and it didn't go off, bc I ATK it, haha, so I tried another 1 this morning and didn't know not to ATK it bc it was still in the upper right corner, so my 3rd attempt better be a success, I was an hour late Monday and I woke up on my own this morning, but it's scary waking up w.o an alarm clock, thinking WTF time is it, haha.

Upvote 0
Glad I stumbled on this thread! Ever since I got the Inc I hadn't taken the time to figure out why the alarm wasn't going off, so I've been using my old Omnia to wake me up. I even used my Omnia the first time I set the Inc's alarm just as a safeguard to make sure I woke up on time, couldn't afford to wake up late.

Upvote 0
Dangit, so yesterday morning after my alarm didn't go off I found this thread, went into ATK and put the Clock in the Ignore list, pretty confident this would fix the problem. I was disappointed this morning when once again my M-F alarm didn't go off.

I'm trying to think what else it could be. Whenever I unlock the phone there is a little alarm icon on the unlock pattern screen that says "6:15" so it sure looks like the phone is aware of it and in a position for it to go off. I don't keep the clock up at night, I have it laying face down with the screen off on the nightstand. I know at least when I first put it there for the night I continue to get email notifications, etc, and when I've tried setting test alarms in that state they always go off. I first set this M-F alarm on Sunday night and it worked Monday morning, but didn't go off yesterday or today.

Anyone else still noticing issues after having ATK ignore it?

Upvote 0
Dangit, so yesterday morning after my alarm didn't go off I found this thread, went into ATK and put the Clock in the Ignore list, pretty confident this would fix the problem. I was disappointed this morning when once again my M-F alarm didn't go off.

I'm trying to think what else it could be. Whenever I unlock the phone there is a little alarm icon on the unlock pattern screen that says "6:15" so it sure looks like the phone is aware of it and in a position for it to go off. I don't keep the clock up at night, I have it laying face down with the screen off on the nightstand. I know at least when I first put it there for the night I continue to get email notifications, etc, and when I've tried setting test alarms in that state they always go off. I first set this M-F alarm on Sunday night and it worked Monday morning, but didn't go off yesterday or today.

I'm having the same issue. I saw this thread yesterday & added clock to ATK but still no alarm this morning. I'm getting really frustrated with this.

Any other suggestions???

Upvote 0

Could that be the problem? Try it without the phone face down - I think that mutes ringers and possibly the alarm as well.

I don't use ATK and my alarm worked fine this morning, which was the first time I used it.

Upvote 0
I have it laying face down with the screen off on the nightstand.

Could that be the problem? Try it without the phone face down - I think that mutes ringers and possibly the alarm as well.

Doesn't seem like it, I've tested the face down thing quite a bit and I always get alarms & notifications, so that seems fine.

Yesterday I got fed up and actually uninstalled ATK altogether. This morning my alarm went off.

I feel like I haven't done enough verification to confirm that ATK was 100% certainly the culprit, although it looks that way. Going to need a longer time to see if I can get the alarm working/not working with consistency in different scenarios before I'm willing to say for sure that this is the fix. I'm also looking into alternatives for task management.

My big (and perhaps stupid) question is should I need to specifically fire up the clock app to get the process running for it to work? I never use the clock as a clock, just a daily alarm. So if I reboot my phone, will my alarm not work unless I remember to go start the clock app once to get it running? That seems pretty ridiculous to me...but if the cause of failure could have been ATK killing it, wouldn't it mean it has to be running in the first place?

Upvote 0
I didn't see this thread until now. I just replied in the "lounge" complaining about the same thing. And after reading posts from here, I know now that task killer is the cause of the problem. That's one of the most used app I use. After I am done with the phone, I "kill" everything. I don't want things running in the background if I am not using them.

Upvote 0
DON'T RUN TASK KILLERS!!!!!

Android is NOT like WinMo, or Windows, or anything like it. I'm not trying to be rude, but once people understand that they don't need a task killer, they'll be SOOO HAPPY!!! Here's approximately how Android works:

-->Apps are opened as needed, sometimes triggered by a service, sometimes by the user. When you hit "Home" or back out of the app, it DOES run in the background IF it is specifically programmed to do so.
-->Your phone will NOT slow down (unless you're downloading things from the Market - that's the only place I've seen the phone get choppy).
-->When your phone needs more resources, it will SAVE THE STATE, then close the apps it needs to close. There is no virtual memory on these phones, so it AUTOMATICALLY kills its own tasks.

Here's an article EVERYONE should read! FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android Geek For Me – Android CDMA Sprint Hero

And YES, TASK KILLERS HOSE YOUR ALARMS!

One final note, download Audio Manager from the market. There's a free version that has an easy widget to visualize your individual item volume settings.

jakewill

Upvote 0
Never used a taskkiller, never had the alarm not go off when it was supposed to.

Coincidence? I think not.

I've had the alarm go off every morning at 7am since i got my phone on the 28th and its never failed.

I say its task killer.

THIS!!!!

I'm becoming more and more convinced TSKers are a source of EVIL. I removed mine last week and haven't noticed ANY battery issues. I think they cause MANY more problems then they solve...

Every time I hear about these "weird" issues 99% of the time the people are running tskers...

Upvote 0
OK, figured out why my phone's alarm wasn't working. When I plug the charger into the USB port, the TV Out app launches almost every time. I've also found that if I use my fingernail to move the metal shell of the USB port, TV Out launches too. Sounds will not come back until I put the phone to sleep using the power button, then wake it again. When I plug it in at night and the TV Out launches, I won't get any audible notifications (alarms, phone calls, emails...) until I remove the adapter and wake it up.

The TV Out icon is up in the curtain and looks like an old TV set...see attached fuzzy picture. If you see this icon, you will not have any audio. Verizon is sending a replacement as soon as they get them in stock...June 10th:mad:

bwthor-albums-btinc-picture1222-tv-out.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones