Anything other than RSD to Flash back to 2.1?

Last Updated:

1. Azathot

Azathot Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I, like a boss, jumped right on the 2.2 leak and updated my phone right off the bat. Lost root, came to the forums, realized that copying a single file could have saved me, cried a bit inside my heart, and finally started the process to flash back to "stock" so that I can re-root, and update the right way without losing root again.

So I downloaded the .sbf file. Downloaded RSDLite 4.6 and attempted to flash. Error: can't access the INI file... sigh

Downloaded RSDLite 4.7 and attempted to flash. Error: Your phone isn't compatible with multi-blah blah blah...

Googled here and there and searched our happy old forums. No luck. Just stupid people giving stupid advice like "try a different USB port". Did I mention I hate people who just reply to a thread with a lame ass "suggestion" even though they clearly have no clue what they're doing?

So I need to know if there is another way to flash back to 2.1 or 2.0.1 (whichever the case may be) so that I can do this upgrade the right way without losing root?

Also, would one of the mods/admins please go back and edit the original "HOW-TO upgrade to 2.2" thread in the basic Droid-X forum and put a huge bold disclaimer for those of us who have our phones rooted to GO TO THE THREAD IN THE "ALL THINGS ROOT" FORUM AND READ THAT FIRST....

Could have saved all my troubles if this information was stated in the first place. I know this is sounding like I'm complaining. Which I guess I am. And I know it's my fault for not reading more before I went ahead and jumped in to the update. But seriously, one little line of text could have saved so many of us so much trouble.

That is all... lol And thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisement
  2. sund0wn

sund0wn Well-Known Member

i made the same mistakes as you. i also had the same problems. what i did was uninstall the motorola drivers, and i went here and got everything fresh...

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&...1&disp=thd&realattid=1344656504346640384-1&zw
    (flashing instructions at the bottom)

i still had problems. couldnt get it to start flashing. i renamed the sbf to dx.sbf. for some reason, shortening the name did the trick.

sorry if that advice sucks, but it's the best i got.

the only reason i did that is because i had my linux box doing other things. i tried it again just for the heck of it on the linux box, and it was 1000% easier. if you dont have easy access to linux, i hope the windows instructions do the trick.

if you get that done, just activate the phone, download universal androot from here... http://software2tech.com/tag/download-universal-androot/

put that on the SD card in the downloads folder, download astro file manager, and install it.
    once that is done, download root explorer from the market, and move su from bin to xbin.

then, boot into recovery, and apply update.zip. i hope that does the trick.

3. travishamockery

travishamockery Well-Known Member

did you by any chance copy over the patched ini file for RSD before you tried this? I think you're getting the error you do get w/o using the right ini

sund0wn likes this.
  4. Azathot

Azathot Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

You sir, are exactly right. I did not. Because no other thread told me to. Until I found this one... http://androidforums.com/all-things...lite-flash-sbf-keeps-failing.html#post1416510

So ya. There you go! Flashed back to stock and I'm good to go. Now to do all the other wonderful things to get root again (yay universal androot) and copy the file over before i update.

Thanks to you guys for your help. Hopefully others who have this issue will see this thread and be able to save their dreams!

5. sund0wn

sund0wn Well-Known Member

good call travis. good thing i didnt make him go thru all that crap. :p (although, my link did include that step... hehe)

6. travishamockery

travishamockery Well-Known Member

haha only reason that was still fresh in my mind is cause I had to use RSD Lite today to SBF and had never used it before. Glad it helped.

Azathot likes this.
  7. deftdrummer

deftdrummer Well-Known Member

Where is everyone getting the .sbf file from?

8. Darkfreak232

Darkfreak232 Active Member

i would like to know this to? can anyone PM me a dowload link? much apreciated! ;)

9. northernmoris

northernmoris Well-Known Member

10. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Well-Known Member

11. dB Zac

dB Zac Well-Known Member

look s right but I found these instructions easier to follow Droid X