Anything that would cause the power button not to work?Support

Last Updated:

1. upther

upther Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Woke up this morning, bump charged my phone and went about my morning routine. Unplugged my phone and turned it on and all was well. Listened to some music on my way to work and everything worked great. Updated Angry Birds Seasons and got a text message. Ever since then the power button has stopped working. I can't put the phone to sleep manually and when the screen times out, I can't wake it up. Any idea what could be causing this? I've uninstalled Angry Birds Seasons and Handcent and that doesn't make a difference. Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. NoShftShck16

NoShftShck16 Well-Known Member

There is no idea an app would do that IMO. Take the battery door off, check around the PWR button to make sure nothing is hindering it from moving. Can you actually press it?

3. upther

Yup, I can press it and I can hear it click, just no response. Doesn't bring the power menu up and when I'm in recovery, it doesn't go back a screen.

Gonna call up VZW tech support and see about getting a warranty replacement.

4. ctc

ctc Well-Known Member

Did you try pulling the battery and powering it back on?

5. upther

It was a very weird problem. I'd pull the battery, let it sit for about 5 minutes, and then put the battery back in. The minute the battery was in, the phone turned on. Talked to VZW tech support and they're overnighting me a replacement. The only thing is, I got it working now.

Went into Rom Manager and rebooted into recovery. Went to advanced and then to Key test. Tested the optical button, volume keys, and the the power button and it recognized it and then started working again.

I'm still going to swap out my phone when the replacement comes tomorrow, but I feel much more comfortable about sending it back now.

6. Colchicine

Colchicine Well-Known Member

It would be nice to hear about some honesty with these warranty replacements. Returning a working phone when there isn't a genuine reason only raises the cost of business for VZW, and that only raises the cost of MY rates.

7. upther

I did have a genuine problem when I called and filled a claim. Just because I have it fixed now, doesn't mean that the problem won't resurface and who knows if that little fix would work again.

8. upther

Got the replacement today and it looks great. From what I can tell it's still an AMOLEd screen because the sku is ADR6300VW just like my original.

Not gonna activate it until tomorrow when I'll have time to sit down, root, and get the phone where I want it.