Anything to do before selling SGS 3?

1. VinnyB

VinnyB Member

I currently have a Droid X and got the SGS 3 to keep my unlimited for at least another two years. Now that I got it, I want to sell it so I can get another phone in the future.

My question is, do I have to do anything such as activate the phone or do something with the SIM card before selling it?

I have read online that I should keep the SIM card since it is tied to my account and I can use that when I get a 4G phone. Is that true? As far as activating it, if I do have to activate it then how can I do so without using the phone?

To reactivate the X, I can just do *228, right?

Any other concerns I should have before selling it?

Advertisement
  2. Aokusman

Aokusman Well-Known Member

You are selling the phone, so no need to activate it, the buyer will do that. Keep your sim.
  3. TzuDohNihm

TzuDohNihm Well-Known Member

You have to call in and activate the SIM card to finalize your contract extension. Beyond that you can *228 the X to reactivate it or call VZW and the rep can walk you through it and send some tests to the phone like I had to do yesterday.

Keep the SIM as it is good for one year.
    AntimonyER likes this.
  4. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

I'll soon be selling a Bionic that's been active on my account for the past 10 months. Is there any reason not to leave the SIM in the phone when I sell it?
  5. TzuDohNihm

TzuDohNihm Well-Known Member

The SIM is tied to your account. Plenty of reason right there not to leave it in. If you do then whoever buys your phone can potentially use it on your dime I would imagine.

Unless you are thinking that you only have two months left on the SIM. That isn't what I meant by good for one year. The SIM is active for one year after you stop using it. It used to be midnight then they moved it to two weeks and apparently recently they have extended it to one year.
    AntimonyER and UncleMike like this.
  6. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

That wasn't what I meant... I was only trying to be clear that the phone and SIM had been in use on my account. I definitely don't want any buyer having the ability to do anything that might come back to bite me.

Thanks.