Anyway to change SD insert notification sound without root?

Last Updated:

1. exwifeusesiphone

exwifeusesiphone Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Since the system can't access the SD card when it's mounting, I guess there's no way without root to add a custom sound to the system files?

Advertisement
  2. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

Not sure what phone and if this is what you are looking ....but with my Moto Droid, the sound that my phone uses when mounting and unmounting the SD card can be changed by going to settings>sound> and I can change the notification ringtone.

You can add custom notification ringtones by creating a folder called notifications on the root of your sd card and copy the sounds you want to use. No root is required.

Here's a thread that I found in the forums where it shows you what other custom sounds you can use. It's for the HTC Magic but should work for all Android phones.

http://androidforums.com/htc-magic/7859-notification-sounds.html

3. exwifeusesiphone

Well, not on the Droid X, I don't have write permission anywhere on the phone's main memory. So you can't have a custom SD notification sound because it goes to the SD card for it. When I use a custom sound, I just get the generic Nexus beep-beep-beep. I don't think I'll risk root to change this, but it's kind of annoying. The SD Card notification doubles as a startup and shutdown sound, so something cool for that would be nice. Oh well.

4. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

Oh I see. how about ringdroid app? does that work on the X? You can create ringtones from music stored in your memory and choose to set it as a notification, alarm or ringtone. If you can store music in your internal memory then you can technically use ringdroid to create tones for your phone. ( I think , lol)
    Yeah same for the droid, there really isn't a start up or shutdown sound it's really the SD card mounting and unmounting sound.

5. exwifeusesiphone

Nope, tried that, Ringdroid just dumps its files into Media/Audio as well.

I'm surprised on the Droid you can write to the main memory?