Anyway to keep SD clean?

Last Updated:

1. GuardianAli

GuardianAli Active Member This Topic's Starter

I use my SD card often and like to keep movies in Movies folder, music in Music folder..etc..basically keep my data nicely organized for consumption later with approriate programs.

But when I look in the SD card in windows, there are dozens of app created folders.

Is there a way to make android create a Program Files like directory like windows so all app data can go into it??

Advertisement
  2. cwcheese

cwcheese Well-Known Member

Android is based on the UNIX/Linux operating systems so those directories on the SD card are working directories for the apps, which typically reside in /home or /usr/local or even other places as designed by the sysadmin for a server. The apps themselves reside in /system/app so it pretty much is the Program Files directory, but unlike Windows, Unix OSes don't store working content with the binary image. Also, the onboard flash RAM is much smaller than the space afforded by the SD card so it is mounted as /sdcard and essentially serves as the home directory for the phone.

There is nothing preventing you to create /sdcard/Movies or /sdcard/Music ...etc... the apps will find the data content they need. I've done it myself to keep organized when I look in the filesystem; having over 25 years of Unix in my head it seemed the logical thing to do. I use LindaManager app to manage the files when I'm not connected to a laptop; it works pretty well for small maintenance and lets you touch a filename and fire up the proper app to operate on it.