1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Anyway to Password Protect Lock ScreenGeneral

1. SeattleYanksFan

SeattleYanksFan Well-Known Member

Sorry if this has been asked, I did a search and came up empty.

Am I missing something or is there no way to password protect the lock screen with Android (without some app)?

I can live without it, but considering how much personal info we store on our phones these days, I'd at least like to know if I have the option.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

settings > Security > Change Unlock Pattern. Then check "Require Pattern".

It's a swipe pattern, not a numeric lock. I use it on my Inc, now that I've got pretty much all the information relevant to my life syncing with the thing...
    SeattleYanksFan likes this.
  3. absolution

absolution Well-Known Member

You can, but it's not a password; it's a "lock pattern". Check it out in your security settings.

Edit: d'oh.
    SeattleYanksFan likes this.
  4. SeattleYanksFan

Sweet. A pattern is even more appealing than a numerical code like my iPod Touch.

One of these days I will actually read the manual...

Thanks a lot guys!
  5. Incredible_Senor

Incredible_Senor Active Member

Actually, is a pattern much easier to crack than numbers? Seems like it to me.
  6. absolution

absolution Well-Known Member

Not really, because the length and complexity of the pattern can vary greatly. The biggest security risk is the fact that the path traced often leaves a visible smudge on the screen making it relatively easy to guess if you don't wipe it off. The same is true for a pin number or something similar, though. It's another good justification for the anti-fingerprint screen protector.
  7. SeattleYanksFan

Depends on how many "patterns" there are to choose from. It's a matter of how many possibly permutations you can create with the available "patterns," whether they consist of directions of the swipe, numbers, letters, etc. If there are 4 directions needed and 9 possible directions to swipe each time, then it would be the same protection, theoretically, as the iPhone OS lock.
  8. civicsisedan

civicsisedan Well-Known Member

No..

Most number codes are 4 digits long.. With my math correct would be 10,000 possibilities.

With pattern you have to connect at least 4. Mine is set at 5. I believe that would make more possibilities.

And most people use numbers that can easily be thought of if you know the person. A pattern is totally random
  9. Incredible_Senor

Incredible_Senor Active Member

You know what? Forget what I said earlier. For some reason I thought the pattern could only consist of 4 spots. Ya, if use 6 or more, I can see how it would be extremely difficult to crack.
  10. civicsisedan

If you went around the edges and then up the middle it would be 8.
  11. sunthas

sunthas Well-Known Member

The phone allows some interesting patterns as well.

You can cut diagonally between points more than one spot away. So if my swipe was a number my code is something like
    2, 5, 8, 3, 6, 9
    assuming the dots match 10-key
    you can't use the same dot twice
    and you can't go from 7 to 9 directly skipping 8, but you can go from 7 to 6 then to 1 in strange diagonal cuts. So the code can be up to 9 digits long, but can't reuse any digits so what would that be 9! except you also have to take out any combinations like the 7 to 9.

I'm sure someone better at math can figure out the total number of combinations.
  12. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

Just make sure, as someone said earlier, to wipe off any oil smudges, otherwise your pattern will be unlocked quite easily.
  13. TokedUp

TokedUp Well-Known Member

another cool trick I found is if you have d/l'd the app antivirus it allows you to customize the lock pattern screen with 3 lines of text info i.e. An email address, an alternate number. Thus allowing anyone who gets access to your phone, in case you lose it, a way to contact you.

Open Antivirus> Menu> Settings > Remote Management > Lost Message

It even lets you preview the messages.

Once setup, after you swipe the initial unlock screen, your info will be shown right above the pattern unlock screen. hope this helps someone, it helped me.
  14. civicsisedan

That was very confusing
  15. Corallis

Corallis Active Member

Lock 2.0 allows you to set a numeric password if you're really hell bent for one.