Anyway to set a wallpaper without cropping it?Support

Last Updated:

1. damstr

damstr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have my wallpaper fixed so it doesn't move when I move from screen to screen.

Since I'm using a fixed wallpaper why does it STILL want me to crop an image? I have an image on my phone that fits the screen perfectly but when I go to set it as a wallpaper it wants to crop it and cut the image pretty much in half which is really dumb.

Anyway around this?

Advertisement
  2. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

pull the edges of the cropper out so it fills up the entire image

AFAIK, there's no way past that step

3. damstr

Thank you captain obvious. :p

Seriously though that's what I do and it still cuts the image in half.

Someone wasn't thinking properly when they designed this part of the wallpaper setting...

4. visualvalhalla

visualvalhalla Well-Known Member

Is your wallpaper resolution fixed at exactly 848x480 pixels? Note that the Droid stretches the wallpaper across three screens

5. damstr

I took a screen shot of the home screen and the resolution the photo was in was 480x854.

If I have a fixed wallpaper there is no reason it should be trying to stretch it across 3 screens...

6. visualvalhalla

You can't change the wallpaper stretching across three screens.

7. damstr

8. visualvalhalla

I see you are a new Droid user. The wallpaper 'feature' was discussed and complained about a bazillion times back in November when the phone was launched. Is is one of those design decisions made by Google

9. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Haha, I see I misunderstood your question...but it's because you misunderstood how the phone works :D

Your wallpaper will always span your screens, that's how Android is designed.

The correct resolution for a wallpaper would be 960x854

mrsymo likes this.
  10. damstr

It's a FIXED wallpaper. Do you know what that means? If it's fixed it's not supposed to span 3 screen. Because I have it set to fixed the wallpaper never moves.

The correct resolution for a fixed wallpaper is 480x854 which means when I go into the gallery and pull up a picture that I set for 480x854 it fits the screen perfectly. I should just be able to set the wallpaper up with no cropping why? Because it fits the screen perfectly there is no reason to crop it.

There shouldn't be a crop feature when you have it set to fixed...

11. iPhone2Droid

iPhone2Droid Well-Known Member

FYI: I haven't tried it, but noticed a paid app in the Market. Wallpaper Plus / US $1.99. The description suggests it will kill the cropping business, while allowing you to dictate precisely what you want to see per screen. Description & screenies:
    Wallpaper Plus for Android - AndroidZoom.com

12. monsterenergy22

monsterenergy22 Well-Known Member

photoshop mobile doesnt make you crop the image

13. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member

Fabulous is right. he always is.

how bout you just grab a wallpaper off your sd and put yours over it. then you know your right.

14. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I find it odd that damstr asks questions, but then knows all the answers at the same time. Some people just like to argue I guess...

NiceGuysFinishLast likes this.
  15. jives

jives Member

FIXED: fastened, attached, or placed so as to be firm and not readily movable; firmly implanted; stationary; rigid.

Fixed doesn't mean that it doesn't span the 3 screens...it means that it doesn't scroll left/right.

NiceGuysFinishLast likes this.
  16. fireshaper

fireshaper Well-Known Member

It is FIXED. It's fixed to the middle of your Home screen and you pan around it. The image does not move, you move around it.

oldchick70 likes this.
  17. damstr

See the thing is people don't understand the question I was asking.

I'll rephrase it. How do I set a wallpaper so it obey's the screens hardware resolution which is 480x854? In other words pretend I only have 1 home screen and can't scroll to the left or right....

18. gotwillk

gotwillk Well-Known Member

i think i know what he means. he wants the image to just stay on one screen without it spanning across 3 screens, so when you scroll the screens, the wallpaper doesnt move and only the icons do. wallpaper stays the same and it would be the resolution of the screen 848x480. i believe there was an option to do this in home++ where you can just set a static image for the wallpaper so that it doesn't span the screens. i know theres a live wallpaper that does that.

so basically if you don't want it to span you will need some kinda app. but i don't think there's a way for you to NOT crop it anyway. i know what you mean because i have an image that fits the screen length and width perfectly but i still have to crop it so it becomes all zoomed in and doesn't look as sharp.

19. tsaunders

tsaunders Well-Known Member

You can't, it's how the device is designed, you have 3 screens and they expect you to utilize them.

20. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

We understand what you are asking. The wallpaper will be stretched so it fits across three screens. Whether or not you view those other screens when you have your wallpaper "fixed" is up to you. If not, you'll just be looking at the center of the image.

Try creating an image that has what you want to see on all three screens in the middle with two blank spaces on either side of it. That should get done what you're looking for.

21. tangomango

tangomango Well-Known Member

Who wiped the frosting off your cupcake? Why the attitude when someone is trying to help?

22. damstr

Thanks that's what I'm trying to do.

I think they do this because when you tilt the device sideways in landscape view the wallpaper doesn't get cut off because the widened wallpaper fits if that makes sense.

I guess. I just wanted a wallpaper to obey the actual hardware resolution of the screen not the digital resolution if that's what you want to call.

That's what I'm going to try tonight.

That's the thing they weren't helping.

23. BlueCarbon

BlueCarbon Member

This isn't really related to the original post here as he doesn't understand how android wallpaper works.

But if my screen resolution is 320x480, then what would the native android wallpaper resolution be?

I want to create some wallpaper but I don't want any stretching.

TIA!

24. Legacy Fan

Legacy Fan Member

I installed launcher pro so I could just have 1 homescreen. Then, I have to take a pic with my canon T2i @ 18MP, then crop, and then mount to the sd card where I can set as my homescreen image. I still cant get past the Wallpaper crop step, but this allows me to have enough resolution on the image so that my wallpaper on my hi-res phone screen doesn't look like it was taken with Logitech's 1st webcam they ever made.

Horrible design flaw/ OS issue with this. Just turrable.

25. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

A lot of people don't seem to realize that the crop box is resizable. If you enlarge the crop box you can use as much of the image as possible. Whether or not you can use all of the image depends on the dimensions of the image and whether they match the wallpaper size (not necessarily screen size) of your particular device. If the ratios match you can use the entire image and you won't lose anything.

I mean, for example, if the wallpaper aspect ratio for your device is 4:3 then the image you want to use has to have a 4:3 ratio as well or else you'll have to crop some of the image.

It's not an OS flaw/issue. It's a user misunderstanding issue. It might be easier for people if the OS supported streching and scaling but then users would just complain that their wallpapers are all distorted. :rolleyes: