Anyway to try out the Android OS without getting a phone? (PC or PC emulator?)

Last Updated:

1. ColHavoc

ColHavoc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I would like to try out the full (or, as much as possible) experience of the Android OS but without buying a phone again or borrowing one for an extended period of time. Is there a way that I can try out the Android OS from my PC via an emulator or other method?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. Eugene

Eugene Well-Known Member

Yes, download the SDK/Emulator

3. badkuk

badkuk Member

4. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

go to a store in the middle of the work day.... they should be dead.. and play with a phone.. they would not care.

5. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Are you wanting to try out the stock OS or Android with a UI such as Sense, MotoBlur, Touchwiz, etc?

6. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

If you want to try out stock, go over to the developer forum and find the walk through for installing the SDK/emulator and you can screw with it in a virtual enviroment. You just get stock vanilla though. If you want to see what you can do with the phone running it, go down to the store sometime when they're not busy. Then you can see what Sense, Motoblur, and all the other interfaces that manufacturers put on the phone do to it and find something that works for you.

7. tommy_ed

tommy_ed Well-Known Member

i would say any emulator would be a horrible way to try it out. you really dont get the true experience. like the above poster said, go into a store and play with one!

8. Mistiq

Mistiq Well-Known Member

I have to agree with everybody else, the Android emulator is not an enjoyable experience whatsoever. I think I tried version 2.1 in virtual box and lets just say it's been about a month since the last time I loaded it up. :(

9. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

i'd suggest doing both: a hands-on experience with a phone will give you an idea of what it actually feels like to use, while on the emulartor you have all the time in the world to explore options and stuff