1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyway to view logs to see what application may be crashing my G1?Support

Last Updated:

1. chosun

chosun Member This Topic's Starter

I periodically run the updates to the applications I already have installed on my phone, and just recently updated like 10 applications. The problem is that now my phone is acting a bit strange.

With the phone locked and in my pocket for a while, I found that the phone becomes totally unresponsive. I push all the buttons, but the screen remains black. It will not power up unless I do a physical battery-pull. It has already happened to me 3 times today, and I feel that I need to check the phone routinely to verify that it's still working.

Is there a way to run a debugger and/or check any type of crash logs on the phone? I'm really wanting to know what is crashing so I can uninstall it asap. I guess I could just uninstall everything, but this is a serious pain. Any help would be much appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Use ASTRO to back up every app to your SDCard ... then reinstall One at a time ... BY ITSELF ... but this will not tell you if you have two apps that are in conflict ...

3. chosun

Thanks for the input. Honestly, if I am going to put that much work into it, I may as well just delete the 10 apps I recently updated. I find it very surprising there's no type of event logging or anything on the phone. Ugh...this is a pain.

4. chosun

This also brings up an interesting point when people say that certain applications crash their phone. I wonder how many of the people are really placing the blame on the correct app. I think a lot of people install more than one app at once, so if the phone starts to act strangely at that time, it's easy to blame the wrong application.

I think a clear event logger or something would let people get a little more information to make a more educated decision on what the offending application may be.

5. devolio

devolio Well-Known Member

There's definitely a logger... in the SDK there's adb. Using adb you can do logcat, get crash dumps, etc.

6. shivers316

shivers316 Godmember VIP Member

There's actually a logcat app in the Market now. It's called Log Collector. It'll take a log and then you can email it to yourself.

7. chosun

Great, thanks for the input! I ended up deleting a bunch of applications and now my phone's running normally again, but I installed logcat anyway just in case.

8. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Can someone outline how "Log Collector" should be used.
    Do you run it before expecting a force close, Or immediately after... ?