Anyway to view RTF files in the browser?

Last Updated:

1. BSinatra

BSinatra New Member This Topic's Starter

I am working on a private website that will serve all kinds of documents: especially RTF, TIFF, JPG & PDF.

This site is for mobile devices, on the iPhone it just works, serves all of those file types right out of the browser. It strips the formatting out of the RTF files but that is ok.

In android I can open an RTF file from Gmail and it opens correctly (again stripped formatting) it even says "Opening as HTML" But in the browser it serves it as plain text with all of the formatting characters.

I have had to download a 3rd party tif viewer. And when I click the document button it downloads the tif file and the user has to then click to open it. This is at least semi-workable. The same goes for .pdf files, they have to be downloaded and then opened.

So I was wondering...is there a way to tell the OS to go ahead and open file type from the browser using a set app? I have a 3rd party RTF viewer installed now but unlike the TIF and PDF, the RTF file tries to open in the browser, it just fails at decoding it.

To condense:

How do I make the browser open an RTF file correctly?

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

I dont think you can do it in the browser. You need an app like Documents To Go or Quick Office.

3. BSinatra

BSinatra New Member This Topic's Starter

Hmmm, how do I tell the browser not to download it and to save it instead? The site uses server side button controls not hyperlinks.