• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root AOKP used to work but is now stuck on splash screen

G'day peeps,

A couple of months ago I flashed AOKP for the first time. After some stuffing around I got it to work and have happily used my not-clunky-anymore Samsung Vibrant (a US mobile company's rebranding of the original Galaxy S) since... until this week. Now, when I boot, it gets stuck on the AOKP splash screen.

Sorry if this is already answered somewhere, but all my searching has only returned 'I just flashed my ROM'... 'so just flash a better one' discussions. But how can I troubleshoot this, without wiping everything? Are there log files I can look at to see where it's hanging?

The reason I'd rather not wipe everything, apart from the time it would take to restore backups, etc. is that I haven't done much of a back-up lately. I was overseas and didn't have much access to data connections to upload the back-ups. Indeed, the problem started soon after I put my original SIM card back in. This is exactly what caused the stock ROM to slow down to uselessness, and prompt me to install AOKP in the first place.

Things I've tried: Wiping just the cache, and of course using a fully charged battery. In the last few weeks I've found my device didn't even start booting when it was connected to the charger, so I've tried both with the charger connected and not. And another forum advised me to just reflash the same ROM without wiping

I never did follow up on this properly. 'Reflashing' the ROM, without wiping my phone first, got my phone limping along well enough for me to back things up properly. I did not lose any data.

Then I wiped the whole phone, reinstalled the ROM .zip again and restored all my data, and it worked real beaut. All my apps and data were there (yay Titanium Backup!) and everything worked a lot more smoothly... until I had to do it all again a few months later. ;-) But I'm getting good at this routine, and I'd rather do this every few months than buy new hardware and contribute to e-waste.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones